1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The culmination of a star

1. Dec 13, 2008 #1
    In my problem, it says only this: "The star Arcturus culminates. What is the sidereal time at this moment?"

Do I need to know when the star culminates to solve the problem, and if I do where would I find this information?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Culminates means reaches it's highest point (although I've never heard this term used in astronomy - was this a translation?).
    I think it wants you describe the relation of Right Ascension to sidereal time rather than give a number
  4. Dec 13, 2008 #3
    This was actually a translation, but it is translated correctly. Culminate is the word used in the original, although it doesn't really sound right in this context.

As for the problem, it does make it a lot easier if I don't have to give a number as the answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?