Evaluate ∇ x \overline{F}: "Curl of Vector F

In summary: The unit vectors ##\hat{r}##, ##\hat{\theta}##, and ##\hat{\phi}## are just the directions in which the vector field is pointing at a given point. You can obtain them by taking the derivatives of the position vector ##\vec{r}## with respect to the spherical coordinates r, ##\theta##, and ##\phi##. In your problem, the vector field is only pointing in the radial direction, so the ##\hat{\theta}## and ##\hat{\phi}## components will be zero, leaving you with just ##\vec{F} = A_r \hat{r}##.
K.QMUL

Homework Statement

Evaluate ∇ x [itex]\overline{F}[/itex], with [itex]\overline{F}[/itex]([itex]\overline{r}[/itex]) = [itex]\overline{r}[/itex]lnr, where [itex]\overline{r}[/itex] = (x; y; z) is the position vector and r is the modulus of the position vector.

Homework Equations

The curl of a vector

The Attempt at a Solution

I recognise I am evaluating the curl of the Vector F, however when taking the derivatives of the x, y and z components respectively. I'm not sure if it should be as follows. (showing the first bit of the problem)

([itex]∂F(z)/∂y[/itex] - [itex]∂F(y)/∂Z[/itex]), ...

which becomes

(∂[itex]\overline{r}[/itex](z)lnr/∂y) - (∂[itex]\overline{r}[/itex](y)lnr/∂Z),

Im not sure if this is right and if I need to include the modulus of the vector r when differentiating [itex]\overline{r}[/itex]lnr with respect to y or z.

Physics news on Phys.org
The way you did it is only applicable when the vector field is in Cartesian coordinates.But your vector field is in spherical coordinates and so its curl should be evaluated using the following formula:
f5c4b982600895f128fcb4c54e68a785.png

Im sorry, how is it in spherical coordinates? my vector is given with a position vector in (x,y,z), isn't that Cartesian?

Since the curl is a vector operator you can calculate in any coordinates you like. Here it's easier to use spherical coordinates then Cartesian ones, because in spherical coordinates your vector field (it's a curl of a vector field not simply a vector!) reads
[tex]\vec{V}(\vec{r})=r \hat{r} \ln r=A_r(r) \hat{r}.[/tex]
You have to evaluate less derivatives than in Cartesian coordinates, but of course, you'll get the same result at the end.

I see. But I'm a little confused what V and A represent? I acknowledge you have used the unit vector multiplied by the magnitude of the vector r, as this is the same as the vector itself; but how am I suppose to obtain a value for the unit vector so I can use it?

K.QMUL said:
I see. But I'm a little confused what V and A represent? I acknowledge you have used the unit vector multiplied by the magnitude of the vector r, as this is the same as the vector itself; but how am I suppose to obtain a value for the unit vector so I can use it?

[tex]
\hat r = \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}}(x \hat i + y \hat j + z \hat k)
[/tex]

Thanks, but what do V and A represent?

vanhees71 said:
Since the curl is a vector operator you can calculate in any coordinates you like. Here it's easier to use spherical coordinates then Cartesian ones, because in spherical coordinates your vector field (it's a curl of a vector field not simply a vector!) reads
[tex]\vec{V}(\vec{r})=r \hat{r} \ln r=A_r(r) \hat{r}.[/tex]
You have to evaluate less derivatives than in Cartesian coordinates, but of course, you'll get the same result at the end.

And in the above, doesn't the r[itex]\hat{r}[/itex] just become (x[itex]\hat{i}[/itex]+y[itex]\hat{j}[/itex]+z[itex]\hat{k}[/itex])

I should have written [itex]V_r[/itex], and it's the radial component of the vector field. Again: It's of course the very same field in spherical coordinates as you've written in Cartesian coordinates. It's really easier to use spherical coordinates here.

K.QMUL said:

##\vec{V}## is what you called ##\vec{F}##. In Cartesian coordinates, you have ##\vec{F} = A_x \hat{x} + A_y \hat{y} + A_z \hat{z}## where the A's are functions of x, y, and z. Similarly, in spherical coordinates, you have ##\vec{F} = A_r \hat{r} + A_\theta \hat{\theta} + A_\phi \hat{\phi}## where the A's are functions of r, ##\theta##, and ##\phi##.

1. What is the definition of "Curl of Vector F"?

The curl of a vector field, denoted as ∇ x \overline{F}, is a vector operator that measures the tendency of a vector field to rotate about a point. It is a mathematical concept used in vector calculus to describe the rotation of a fluid or electromagnetic field.

2. How is "Curl of Vector F" calculated?

The curl of a vector field is calculated using the cross product of the del operator (∇) and the vector field (F). This can be represented as ∇ x \overline{F} = (∂F_z/∂y - ∂F_y/∂z) i + (∂F_x/∂z - ∂F_z/∂x) j + (∂F_y/∂x - ∂F_x/∂y) k, where i, j, and k represent the unit vectors along the x, y, and z axes, respectively.

3. What does a positive or negative value of "Curl of Vector F" indicate?

A positive value of the curl of a vector field indicates a counterclockwise rotation or circulation, while a negative value indicates a clockwise rotation. A zero value indicates that the vector field is irrotational, meaning there is no rotation about a point.

4. How is "Curl of Vector F" used in real-world applications?

The concept of curl is used in many fields, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and meteorology. For example, in fluid dynamics, the curl of a velocity field can be used to calculate the vorticity of a fluid, which is important in understanding the formation of tornadoes and hurricanes.

5. What is the relationship between "Curl of Vector F" and "Divergence of Vector F"?

The curl and divergence of a vector field are related through the fundamental theorem of vector calculus. Specifically, the divergence of the curl of a vector field is always equal to zero, and the curl of the gradient of a scalar field is also equal to zero. This relationship is known as the vector laplacian, and it is an important concept in understanding the behavior of vector fields.