Mark Twain's "The Damned Human Race" Performance

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Human Race
In summary, a performance of an excerpt from Mark Twain's essay "The Damned Human Race" is shared and discussed, with one person mentioning that George Carlin did a better job performing it. Another person mentions that Carlin also did a performance of Twain's "Letters from the Earth".
zoobyshoe
I thought Penguino, Evo and others might enjoy this amazing performance of an excerpt from Mark Twain's essay: "The Damned Human Race".

It's just a rant, but so entertainingly done I could say it's a demonstration of "The Art of Rant".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_rTMNnxwSE

Physics news on Phys.org
George Carlin did it better than this guy

flyingpig said:

Carlin performed Twain's "Damned Human Race"?

flyingpig said:
You mentioning his name changed my life. Who would have thought.

Oh dear, i'll watch it for you zoob, but I hate mark Twain and Hal Holbrook. :frown:

I loved it zoob! Thank you! Everyone should watch that!

Evo said:
Oh dear, i'll watch it for you zoob, but I hate mark Twain and Hal Holbrook. :frown:

Whoa! Hate is a really strong word... I like it! :approve:

Evo said:

Evo said:
I loved it zoob! Thank you! Everyone should watch that!

A double negative makes a positive?

zoobyshoe said:
A double negative makes a positive?
Definitely a positive.

Evo said:
Definitely a positive.
Evo, I know you would especially like Twain's "Letters from the Earth". You can find several readings on youtube, or if you prefer the printed version, on Gutenberg. These purport to be letters written by Satan to Michael and Gabriel concerning his fact-finding visit to the earth.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Evo, I know you would especially like Twain's "Letters from the Earth". You can find several readings on youtube, or if you prefer the printed version, on Gutenberg. These purport to be letters written by Satan to Michael and Gabriel concerning his fact-finding visit to the earth.
:bugeye:

1. What is the main theme of "The Damned Human Race"?

The main theme of "The Damned Human Race" is the idea that humans are inherently flawed and often exhibit behaviors and traits that are deemed as "animalistic". Twain uses satire and irony to critique human society and its notions of morality and civilization.

2. How did Mark Twain use humor in "The Damned Human Race"?

In "The Damned Human Race", Mark Twain uses humor as a tool to expose the absurdity of human behavior and beliefs. He uses satire and irony to highlight the hypocritical and illogical nature of human society, ultimately aiming to make readers reflect on their own actions and beliefs.

3. What effect did "The Damned Human Race" have on society when it was first published?

When "The Damned Human Race" was first published, it caused controversy and sparked discussions about the nature of humanity and the role of social constructs in shaping human behavior. Many criticized Twain for his scathing commentary on human society, while others praised him for his thought-provoking and satirical approach.

4. How does "The Damned Human Race" relate to modern society?

"The Damned Human Race" is still relevant in modern society as it continues to challenge our notions of morality and civilization. The issues and behaviors that Twain satirizes, such as greed, violence, and hypocrisy, are still prevalent in today's world, making the essay a thought-provoking commentary on the flaws of human nature.

5. Was "The Damned Human Race" a reflection of Mark Twain's personal beliefs?

It is debated whether "The Damned Human Race" reflects Mark Twain's personal beliefs or if it was purely a satirical piece. While Twain was known for his skepticism and criticism of society, it is believed that the essay was meant to provoke thought and discussion rather than to express his personal beliefs outright.