Dangers of FTL Space Drives: AIAA/NASA Report Analysis

• Thread starter integral_83
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ftl
In summary, the paper discusses hypothetical space drives that could be used to travel to other star systems. The author speculates on the possible consequences of such a technology, and concludes that while the waves created by the drive may be small, the local effects could be significant.
integral_83
For kicks, I have been reading the following AIAA/NASA paper on hypothetical space drives:

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/bpp/1997-J_AIAA_SpaceDr.pdf

Now, I have to admit that I only have a cursory understanding of general relativity & differential geometry.

But assume for a moment the unlikely possibility that one or more of these concepts is feasible and engineer-able. Imagine that such a drive was activated within our solar system, with an extra-solar destination. Given the sharp instantaneous S-T curvature implied by these designs and the instability of the N-Body (N>2) problem, wouldn't such a technology pose a serious threat to an inhabited system?

Specifically, wouldn't the artificial curvature induce changes in the Christoffel symbols in S-T; ultimately propagating outward as a gravitational wavefront as S-T returned to it's original shape? If so, would it seem likely that these field gradients might stabilize a gravitational system?

Thanks in advance for everyone's time/help/explanations/corrections!

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless I'm mistaken, you're asking if a hypothetical FTL drive would create gravity waves. And would they be big enough to affect planetary orbits.

Of course, this is all fantasy, but...

Just because they create waves that ripple across the solar sytem, doesn't mean it will destabilize anything.

To resort to the waves-on-a-pond analogy, you're imagining the drive creating a whirlpool funnel in the lake big enough to alter the courses of vessels, I'm imagining it would merely make ripples on the surface.

Yep; that's what I was asking. I imagine that you may be right; but given the magnitude of the disturbance needed to warp space in the needed way, it just seems intuitive that the ancillary effects of a warp field would be non-negligible.

The analogy that I guess put this in my mind was propagation of waves from shocks in fluid dynamics. Of course, I don't imagine that S-T is completely analogous to a fluid continuum, but I can't help but think that gravitational waves would emanate from a shock in an exponentially decreasing manner with respect to distance (although I am not sure if that's the conventional model). In this way, gravitational waves would carry very large amounts of momentum close to the warp bubble, but would be minuscule over stellar distances (and thus hard to detect). As I understand it, this is similar to how interaction between black holes are conceptually modeled.

I wonder if anyone has tried to numerically model the theoretical local effects of an alcubierre warp event (with all hypothetical hand-waving assumptions of practicality and energy requirements allowed) on the gravitational dynamics of, say, a 2 or 3 body problem.

Anyways, I appreciate the input, given how contrived the question really is to begin with! :)

What are the dangers of using FTL space drives?

According to the AIAA/NASA report analysis, there are several potential dangers associated with using FTL space drives. These include the risk of collision with objects in space, the possibility of malfunction or failure of the drive, and the potential for radiation exposure for both the spacecraft and its occupants.

How do FTL space drives impact the environment?

The use of FTL space drives can have a significant impact on the environment. The propulsion systems used in these drives emit large amounts of energy, which can have effects on the surrounding space and potentially disrupt the natural balance of the universe. Additionally, the use of FTL drives can also lead to the creation of space debris, which can be hazardous to other spacecraft and satellites in orbit.

Are there any potential health risks for astronauts using FTL space drives?

Yes, there are potential health risks for astronauts using FTL space drives. The high speeds and acceleration associated with FTL travel can cause physiological stress on the human body, which could lead to health problems such as cardiovascular issues or bone and muscle loss. In addition, the exposure to high levels of radiation during FTL travel can also pose a threat to the health of astronauts.

How does the use of FTL space drives impact space travel regulations?

The use of FTL space drives poses challenges for space travel regulations and policies. Currently, there are no established regulations for FTL travel, as the technology is still in its early stages of development. As FTL travel becomes more common, there will likely be a need for stricter regulations to ensure the safety of all spacecraft and minimize the potential risks to the environment.

What advancements are being made to address the dangers of FTL space drives?

Researchers and scientists are continuously working to address the potential dangers associated with FTL space drives. This includes developing new technologies to mitigate the risk of collisions and finding ways to protect spacecraft and astronauts from radiation exposure. Additionally, there are ongoing discussions and collaborations between agencies and organizations to establish guidelines and regulations for the use of FTL space drives.