1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Darwin Term

1. Feb 27, 2013 #1
    I'm trying to do a HW involving the Darwin Term in the fine structure of hydrogen. I'm given that the perturbation from the Darwin term is equal to (times a constant factor which I'll ignore),

[tex] V_D = [p_i,[p_i, \frac{e^2}{r}]] =
    e^2\vec{p}^2\frac{1}{r} -2e^2\vec{p}\frac{1}{r}\vec{p} +
    e^2\frac{1}{r}\vec{p}^2 [/tex]

I know that the alterntive form of the Darwin term is,

[tex] V_D = 4\pi\delta(r) [/tex]

This comes from the first term in the first expression when you project the momentum operater onto real space, but there are two other terms which I can't seem to get to cancel... can anyone explain how these terms cancel? If they don't, then I have to do an intergal involving the laplacian of the wave function, and an integral involving the first derivite wrt to r of a wave function, for aribitrary n,l,m... and that is going to be a nightmare!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think you've left out some terms. When simplifying operator expressions like this, I find it helpful to let the expressions act on an arbitrary function ##\psi##. So

[itex] V_D \psi = [p_i,[p_i, \frac{e^2}{r}]] \psi [/itex]

When expanding the commutators and then simplifying; make sure that you let the p operators act on everything to their right using the product rule.

EDIT: You can also just use the well-known operator identity: ##[p_x, f(x)] = -i\hbar \frac{df(x)}{dx}##

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  4. Feb 28, 2013 #3
    Doh! I totally forgot about that identity! Yes I do think maybe when I operate on some wave function i should get extra terms, but it's still messy to me, since I'm trying to do everything in spherical coordinates. :(

I'll use the identity to finish the problem, then go back and try to work out how things should cancel. Thanks a bunch!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted