Knowing Your Time: What Would You Do If You Knew When You'd Die?

• Thread starter Lisa!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Death
In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of death and what people would do if they knew when they were going to die. Some responses included not changing much in their current lives, going to Disneyland, writing, being curious about death, and having the power to choose when to die. There were also discussions about the experience of death and whether it makes someone feel superior to living people. Some people also mentioned wanting to experience activities they might not have done before, such as skydiving or having sex in public. Overall, the conversation showed a range of perspectives on death and how people might approach it differently if they knew when it was coming.
Lisa!
Gold Member
What would you do if you knew when you'd die? Would it make any difference in your life?
What would you do if you knew you would be alive less than 1 year(or 1 month, 1 week...)? :rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think I would change much. I never assume the morrow will come.

Well, if I knew I would only be around another week, I wouldn't be worrying so much about moving in a week and a half. :biggrin: And if I'd only be around another month, I'd definitely join Zz for his September Disney trip instead of waiting until January. Anything further away than that and I probably wouldn't change much.

Okay, MB has a good point: I'd go to Disneyland!

Oh really? You don't want to kiss and make up with God whether he exists or not? o:)
Aw I think I'd have a lot to do. Perhaps I start writing one of stories in my mind. But no let's forget it, I don't want to become famouse after my death. :zzz: I should do whatever I like.(I'm doing the same now) :rolleyes:

By the way, how would you feel? Happy or sad or even excited?

Moonbear said:
Well, if I knew I would only be around another week, I wouldn't be worrying so much about moving in a week and a half. :biggrin: And if I'd only be around another month, I'd definitely join Zz for his September Disney trip instead of waiting until January. Anything further away than that and I probably wouldn't change much.

Good point. But you know I would join Zz for a trip whenever I decide to kill myself! :tongue2: He's not around here, is he? :uhh:

I hope that I am awake and aware. I want to know what people see when their eyes grow wide with awe.

A close friend of the family died recently. As has happened with others, at the moment of death his eyes grew very wide and he looked all around the room as if it was filled with people.

There was a hospice nurse who wrote a book in which she proclaims, "you don't want to miss your own death". Apparently it can be quite a beautiful experience.

God and I are just fine.

Yeah, I'm really curious to know what happens. I think death is the most mysterious and intersting event or perhaps travel in everyone's life. Sometimes I envy people who have died, I don't know why. Because I enjoy my life but I think when someone dies s/he feel superior to alive people. And laugh at people who are afraid of death.

Lisa! said:
Yeah, I'm really curious to know what happens. I think death is the most mysterious and intersting event or perhaps travel in everyone's life. Sometimes I envy people who have died, I don't know why. Because I enjoy my life but I think when someone dies s/he feel superior to alive people. And laugh at people who are afraid of death.

I think the power to die is within your hands,you just need a bit of courage.!
And you can anytime become superior!
(Lisa,i am seriously joking,! :biggrin: )

heman said:
I think the power to die is within your hands,you just need a bit of courage.!
And you can anytime become superior!
(Lisa,i am seriously joking,! :biggrin: )
:rofl:What do you mean by seriously joking? What you're saying is for people who don't have enough courage to continue their life. :wink: Death is a part of our life and for sure it has its specific time.

Lisa! said:
:rofl:What do you mean by seriously joking? .

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Lisa! said:
What you're saying is for people who don't have enough courage .to continue their life

If you are standing on the top of Eiffel tower,won't you require courage to jump down?

Lisa! said:
Death is a part of our life and for sure it has its specific time.

time is in your hands, :tongue:

Lisa! said:
What would you do if you knew when you'd die?
I know already when i will die, in the future.
now that i know that, ill keep doing what I've done so far, i.e posting in pf :cry:
Would it make any difference in your life?
see above.
What would you do if you knew you would be alive less than 1 year(or 1 month, 1 week...)? :rolleyes:
i would not ask what I am going to do, i would do it. :devil:

Lisa! said:
what kind of laugh?
is it the evilish one- muhahaha?
or the kind-nature- hahahaha?

heman said:
If you are standing on the top of Eiffel tower,won't you require courage to jump down?
Aw Ejffel tower? You know I love jumping down from a high place because I'm so curious to know how it's like. :rolleyes: I don't know why we don't stay health when we jump down from high places but cats do. You know I think cats know physics rules better than us and they know how to use them in their lives. :wink:
Anyway I always need to be so careful when I'm standing on a high place because sometimes my curiosity is about to make me jump down! o:)

I want to go BASE jumping!

If you jumped from the Eiffel Tower, wouldn't you hit some lower metal poles?

If I knew I was dying within a week or a month I would:

-Assassinate President Bush and Bill Gates
-Go sky diving
-Have sex in public (got this one from another site)

There are probably some other good ones, but I can't think of them now.

loop quantum gravity said:
i.e posting in pf :cry:

You mean you try to know what hell is like by spending time in PF? :wink:

How do you laugh when you see some people are worried about silly things or love something damn stupid?

moose, do you have any suggestion?

mattmns said:

Aha! Clever guy, you get my point. I wanted to know if anyone would kill someone else since he knew he would die soon anyway. :wink:

If I knew my death adte, i would try to do all that I can before that date, so I'd have something to show about my life.

yomamma said:
If I knew my death adte, i would try to do all that I can before that date, so I'd have something to show about my life.
how can you show something about your life if you are dead? :bugeye:

Cheat and die the way i want to only a day early.

yomamma said:
Killing Franzbear? :tongue2:

precisely...

Has anyone heard this one?

This guy goes to see a doctor who gives him a checkup and does tests. After looking at the test results the doctor says to the guy: "I have some terrible news. You're going to die in ten..."

The guy asks in puzzlement: "Ten what? Years? Months? Weeks?"

Doctor: "Nine... Eight... Seven..."

Lisa! said:
You mean you try to know what hell is like by spending time in PF? :wink:
i thought this was heaven. o:)

How do you laugh when you see some people are worried about silly things or love something damn stupid?
i smile, and if they are damn stupid i laugh ha-ha-ha (i mean truly stupid, not acting as stupid).
usually i only smile, cause i know that i myself have some weird traits (damn, lisa, I am a physics/maths/philosophy nerd, i got to have some weirdness to laugh at).

mattmns said:

-Go sky diving
-Have sex in public (got this one from another site)

There are probably some other good ones, but I can't think of them now.
i bet you'll feel bad with yourself if you will live more than a month or week that was forseen for you.
i mean after a month if you are not dead yet, you might spent a lot of time in jail, for killing bush and gates. (although, i bet bin-laden and winos' users will be indebted).

loop quantum gravity said:
i thought this was heaven. o:)
If here's heaven, what's the hell like! :uhh:

i smile, and if they are damn stupid i laugh ha-ha-ha (i mean truly stupid, not acting as stupid).
usually i only smile, cause i know that i myself have some weird traits (damn, lisa, I am a physics/maths/philosophy nerd, i got to have some weirdness to laugh at).
Aha! you've answered your own question. I think dead people laugh at us in a way we laugh at stupid people! :wink:

1) What is the significance of knowing when you will die?

Knowing when you will die can have different meanings for different people. Some may see it as a way to plan and make the most out of their remaining time, while others may find it daunting or overwhelming.

2) Is it possible to accurately predict the exact moment of one's death?

No, it is not possible to accurately predict the exact moment of one's death. While there are some scientific methods and tools that can give an estimation, it is not a precise prediction and can be affected by various factors.

3) Can knowing your time of death affect your behavior or lifestyle?

Yes, knowing your time of death can potentially impact your behavior or lifestyle. It can make you more conscious of how you spend your time and prioritize things that are important to you. It can also make you more appreciative and grateful for the time you have left.

4) Are there any benefits to knowing your time of death?

Some people may find benefits in knowing their time of death. It can give them a sense of control and allow them to plan for the future. It can also help them make important decisions and tie up loose ends before their time comes.

5) Does knowing your time of death have any scientific basis?

There is ongoing research and studies on the topic, but currently, there is no solid scientific evidence or method to accurately predict when an individual will die. Some studies suggest that genetics and lifestyle choices can play a role in life expectancy, but it is not a guarantee.