Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The day after oil

1. We will face apocalyptic scenario

13.3%
  2. We will find adequate alternative long before

70.0%
  3. Human race will evolveback from industrial based to agricultural based society

13.3%
  4. We will be extinct before the oil

3.3%
  1. Jun 8, 2010 #1
    Its not a secret that the human race runs on 3 essential liquids; water, beer and oil.
    Mother nature gifts us the first, we know how to cook the second but the third is somewhat problematic.

What alternatives we have now, nuclear power for electricity? But what will happen in the transportation industry or the food industry which is highly depended on oil?

For many years now we talk about electrical and some kind of hybrid cars [but what about airplanes], although I don't think these are adequate long term solutions.

I think we are intelligent enough and have the time to avoid apocalyptic scenario, or maybe I'm wrong?

[Edit] How can I edit the poll? [I've made a typo]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2010 #2
    We already have viable alternatives, and as far as oil usage is concerned it's a problem sure, but it's far from critical (ie we aren't just going to run out) it's just getting more expensive. Currently it's still the cheapest and most viable solution for transport.

More funding to alternative transport/fuel research means we will get it quicker. Simple.

4. Jun 8, 2010 #3

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually, usable fresh water is as big a problem as oil. Except, in the case of water, the problem is that the water always seems to be in the places that don't need it and never in the places that really need it.

In any event, human history is filled with civilizations that progressed to a new level, only fall back into a more primitive level. During those first decades before the rules of new culture have been etched in stone, it isn't that hard for that particular civilization to fragment into parts too small to maintain the whole.

There's no reason to think that a post-industrial culture is so different from any culture that has come before that we're exempt from the possibility of fragmenting into more primitive cultures.

5. Jun 8, 2010 #4
    The crisis will hit us actually long before the oil will run out, imagine how the food price will skyrocket when oil gets too expensive. This will bring chaos to many poor countries not before long the whole world can be ignited into conflict. Or maybe I'm to dramatic here?

6. Jun 9, 2010 #5
    I think it's something like 10 hydrocarbon calories per 1 "food" calorie consumed, so I don't think you're being overly dramatic.

7. Jun 9, 2010 #6
    We have the alternatives but the corporate bigwigs only want more money, not a sustainable planet. The USA is such a big player, but earn so much money from their wells that they want to keep them going. solar needs a decade or so to become a major source that is highly efficient. Nuclear is very "green" unless a mistake happens. the other problem is that the Chinese have a lot of coal and will make money on that. I sure hope that a Major government think about the earth before their wallets.
    watch the movie "the story of stuff" please
    sorry that this is so opinionated, BT

8. Jun 9, 2010 #7
    You mean we do have an alternative to oil and it's products?
    So we can put it into our planes and automobiles and keep going?
    I'm not so sure.

9. Jun 10, 2010 #8
    It's electricity. Given the funding the car car and oil companies have, we could probably produce a battery that could do the job. Look at the cap that Obama put on oil spill costs: 75 million, I don't think so. 1 billion is more like it. They are wrecking the planet with our greed.
    cheers, BT

10. Jun 10, 2010 #9
    Don't forget batteries are made of nickel, and like oil nickel is finite.

11. Jun 10, 2010 #10

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I selected the second option, but the reality will likely be somewhere between the second and first (but closer to the second).

12. Jun 14, 2010 #11
    I agree with Russ

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook