The Day After

• Thread starter Gokul43201
  • Start date
Tsunami said:
So, recon. What's life like living under a sultan's rule? HE's not a war monger, is he?
Today's national headline news is "Malaysian Fined Over Fake Jewellery". Click here to see if you don't believe.

The biggest thing to happen in our country this year is the marriage between the Crown Prince and a 17-year-old school girl.

So, it's all good. :cool:

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
recon said:
Today's national headline news is "Malaysian Fined Over Fake Jewellery". Click here to see if you don't believe.

The biggest thing to happen in our country this year is the marriage between the Crown Prince and a 17-year-old school girl.

So, it's all good. :cool:
How old is the Crown Prince?

I followed your link...I like reading a variety of news sources around the world. What is Hari Raya? I see a lot of references to that on the news site in your link (in the ads on the page). Is that an upcoming holiday? If so, what does it celebrate?

Happy Happy Joy Joy, Happy Happy Joy Joy, Happy Happy Joy Joy.............

The Crown Prince turned 30 earlier this year.

Hari Raya is the celebration of the Muslim New Year and it is celebrated for roughly 2 weeks. We get a two-day public holiday, so everyone is looking forward to it. I'm not sure what date it falls on, but it is sometime in the next one or two weeks.

During Hari Raya, the Sultan has an 'open house' and everyone, regardless of race or religion, is allowed to visit him at his Istana (or Palace). He gets several thousand visitors, so we have to wait in a queue to be able to meet him. If you are a woman, you don't meet him, but his wife. We usually have to wait several hours in line before we get to the front of the queue that winds through the palace.

Evo
Mentor
Hurkyl said:
I suppose the dictionary is a moral text too?
What does the dictionary have to do with how people vote? :confused:

If Bush had not been re-elected,he most probably would have been assasinated.

Gold and foreign currencies are strong only because the dollar is weak, which I think will be the trend for the next few years.

Hurkyl said:
I suppose the dictionary is a moral text too?
Since you are so involved in math, you should know that definitions are all important. They do contain moral views, and in the most perverse form of all. Think about it : do you use "holiday" or "vacation" ? Is not there a very profound difference ? If you google-define it, you will find for both "leisure time away from work devoted to rest or pleasure". But "vacation" refers to "away from work, not producing" whereas "holiday" would be much closer to "devoted to rest or pleasure" which is very different. So yes indeed, the dictionnary is full of moral considerations.

I could not tell for sure in english, but in french we have very few identical words. Synonyms are usually only similar. Here is an instance of really identical meanings in french : "multicolore" and "polychrome" which I need not translate for you. Apart from those very peculiar instances, the word one uses has a very strong and deep psychological influence on oneself, and a constant use of specific moral terms is usually done on purpose.

The mere fact that your president pretends being "good" against "evil" is a symptom. You also seem to assimilate laws to moral principles. However, laws are not even supposed to be assimilated to ethics. Supposely there is an ethical council which is different and independent from the lawing board. This difference is not so clear in your country, is it ?

So, it's all good.
You and your lack of turmoil! :mad:

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Gokul43201 said:
How do you feel, after the elections ?
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil.

Gokul43201 said:
Here's another way of saying that :

It's interesting how the better educated (and I don't consider attending church, education) folks voted for Kerry.
And that's a better way of saying it - thanks :smile:

Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Since you are so involved in math, you should know that definitions are all important.
Yes, and I find it fairly annoying that there are those who seek to change definitions for political and personal gain. A constitutional amendment to block such a maneuver does seems to be a bit of overkill.

franznietzsche said:
Well he was definitely elected this time. You cannot doubt the legitimacy of this election.
I doubt the legitamacy of his original instatement, and if that is false, it invalidates him winning again.

jimmy p
Gold Member
Sad cos Bush's pet Blair will be in control of my fair country for another 4 goddamn years.

graphic7
Gold Member
jimmy p said:
Sad cos Bush's pet Blair will be in control of my fair country for another 4 goddamn years.
You blasphemer! :uhh:

Mattius_ said:
You and your lack of turmoil! :mad:
:grumpy: :devil: :confused:

Don't worry, I finally caught the envious tone of your statement. :biggrin: