Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The definition of an algebra

1. Jun 12, 2013 #1
    "Let R be a commutative ring. We say that M is an algebra over R, or that M is an R-algebra if M is an R-module that is also a ring (not necessarily commutative), and the ring and module operations are compatible, i.e., [tex]r(xy) = (rx)y = x(ry)[/tex] for all [itex]x, y \in M[/itex] and [itex]r \in R[/itex]."

I'm not really sure why the second equality is true, because it implies commutativity and the definition tells us that an R-module is not necessarily commutative, right?

Thank you in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, it does NOT imply commutativity because x and y are not commuted. What is says is that it doesn't matter if you multiply the real number "r" by x or by y before you multiply the two module members.

4. Jun 12, 2013 #3
    Thanks, but I cannot see any ring/module operation that would permit that. We know that associativity and distributivity hold (and of course others too, but they aren't related to this case). But I can't see how these basic operations would imply what you said.

5. Jun 12, 2013 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The definition does that ##rx = xr##, but that's for ##r\in R## and ##x\in M##. The definition does not state that ##xy = yx## for ##x,y\in M##. So ##M## is not commutative in that sense.

6. Jun 13, 2013 #5
    Thanks a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook