Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The definition of 'shielding'

1. Dec 18, 2004 #1
    Now this relates to the berylium + Lithium thread i made earlier.. (although not entierly)

Is electron 'shielding' due to replusion between electron orbitals?

I've had a look at this site, but in somewhat generalizes too much for me. Therfore, can i presume the electrons which occupy the 'inner' orbitals cancel out some of the values of the nuclear charge?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need to read up more on the topic of effective nuclear charge (Z). Browse through the index of your text.

Why does electronegativity increase as you move across a specific row of the periodict table?
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2004
  4. Dec 18, 2004 #3
    Ill certainly do that, however, it seems to me the textbooks i have (provided from school) generalizes too much, just saying 'electron shielding causes lower ionisation energy...etc'

I just got a new book (which seems good) so ill read through it, however, it would be appreciative to have one here..
  5. Dec 18, 2004 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Roughly speaking, yes, that is what shielding is. The inner electrons "shield" the outer electrons from the field due to the nucleus.
  6. Jan 8, 2005 #5
    It happens in transition elements more often than in main group elements. Basically since electrons fill in the 4s orbital before the 3d the new 3d electrons shield the 4s orbital from the nuclear charge of the nucleus as they are in a lower energy orbital and thus between the 4s orbital and the nucleus. Also I am really drunk so if something was omitted or factually incorrect my bad.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?