1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The derivative of 2^x

1. May 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm trying to find the derivative of 2^x by hand so that I can better understand the number e. This video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNZgbj3UaRE&feature=plcp

says the answer is .69. I can't figure out how to get that

2. Relevant equations

lim h -> 0 [f(x0+h) - f(x0)]/h

3. The attempt at a solution

So let's take point (3,8)

[2(3+h)^3 - 4(3)^3]/h

= [54 + 2h^3 - 108]/h

= 54

not exactly .69

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2012 #2
    I am not sure what you are doing here - but that looks incorrect.

The easiest way to do this derivative is to write y = 2^x and take the natural log of both sides and then differentiate.

4. May 24, 2012 #3
    If I do that, I get

ln y = x ln 2

Two unknowns and one equation, can't be solved.

5. May 24, 2012 #4
    No... you take the derivative with respect to x of both sides.

6. May 24, 2012 #5
    Then I will still have an x in my solution, not .69

7. May 24, 2012 #6
    wait, the natural log of 2 is .69, ok, I get it now.

8. May 24, 2012 #7
    Are you sure? Because the derivative of 2^x is not .69. It's (ln2)*2^x. It is only .69 at x=0.

9. May 24, 2012 #8
    well, i get enough to satisfy me for the moment.

10. May 24, 2012 #9
    well, ok then.

11. May 24, 2012 #10
    This is wrong on so many levels... You should really read through the more basic stuff again...

So if f(x) = 2x, then f(x0+h)-f(x0) = 2(x0+h)-2x0

Next, you don't pick a random value for h... Instead, you take the limit as h tends to zero of (f(x+h)-f(x))/h

12. May 24, 2012 #11

sharks

Gold Member

Or you could just learn the general formula: ##\frac{d(a^x)}{dx}=a^x.\ln a## where a is any real constant.

13. May 24, 2012 #12

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your whole question doesn't make much sense. The derivative of [itex]2^x[/itex] is a function of x, not a number. Since, in fact, the derivative of [itex]2^x[/itex] is the function [itex]ln(2)2^x[/itex], and ln(2) is (approximately) 0.69, the derivative of [itex]2^x[/itex] at x= 0 is (approximately) 0.69.

Pretty much everything here is wrong. For one thing, [itex](x+ h)^3= x^3+ 3x^2h+ 3xh^3+ h^3[/itex], NOT "[itex]x^3+ h^3[/itex]". But where did that [itex]2(3+h)^3[/itex] come from anyway? The difference quotient for [itex]2^x[/itex] would be
    [tex]\frac{2^{x+ h}- 2^x}{h}[/tex]
    not what you have. (Which looks like it would be for [itex]2x^3[/itex] if that "4" were a "2".)

We could then write [itex]2^{x+y}= 2^x2^h[/itex] and factor [itex]2^x[/itex] out. The difference quotient becomes
    [tex]2^x \frac{2^h- 1}{h}[/tex]
    so that the derivative, the limit, as h goes to 0, of that, is [itex]2^x[/itex] times the limit of that last fraction. In fact, it is easy to see that the derivative of [itex]a^x[/itex] is just [itex]a^x[itex] itself times the limit of
    [tex]\frac{a^h- 1}{h}[/tex]

"e" happens to have that limit equal to 1. And one can use the properties of [itex]e^x[itex] to show that
    [tex]\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{a^h- 1}{h}= ln(a)[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook