The Digit and digit symbols

• Thread starter Digit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symbols
In summary, Digit has a base, b, which is the count of symbols used to represent a digit. The symbol count is important and can be any set of marks. If you come to the end of the symbols you have, you can either give up, make another symbol, or add another digit using a carry mechanism. Any multi-digit number can be converted into a single digit by choosing a new base that is a power of the old base. The person speaking is a maker of machines that do math and is interested in discussing this topic further.
Digit
Digit has {b} ; b is the count of symbols
b is the base of the digit and is the symbol count

b symbols
1 0
2 0,1
3 0,1,2
The symbol count is necessary. The symbols can be any set of marks.
If you count and come to the end of the symbols you have, there are 3
choices:
1: give up
2: make another symbol
3: add another digit
If you add another digit you must have a carry mechanism and your digits make a polynomial in b.
It is easy to show that any multi digit number can be made into a single digit by choosing a new base that is old b to the digit power.

I make machines that do math. Anyone interested in this kind of stuff?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Is that you, hlreed?

- Warren

Hi Warren.
I thought you would get me.

Originally posted by Digit
Hi Warren.
I thought you would get me.
Yes, I probably will.

- Warren

1. What are "The Digit and digit symbols"?

"The Digit and digit symbols" refer to a psychological test used to assess cognitive abilities, specifically processing speed and attention. The test involves matching digits to corresponding symbols as quickly and accurately as possible.

2. How is the test administered?

The test is typically administered on a computer or paper, with the participant being presented with a series of digits and a corresponding set of symbols. The participant must then choose the correct symbol for each digit as quickly as possible.

3. What is the purpose of the test?

The Digit and digit symbols test is used to assess cognitive abilities, specifically processing speed and attention. It can also be used to screen for cognitive impairment or as part of a larger battery of tests to assess overall cognitive functioning.

4. What do the results of the test indicate?

The results of the test can indicate the individual's processing speed and attention abilities. Lower scores may suggest difficulties with these cognitive functions, while higher scores may indicate stronger abilities in these areas.

5. Are there any limitations to the test?

Like any psychological test, the Digit and digit symbols test has its limitations. It may not be an accurate measure of cognitive abilities for individuals with certain learning disabilities or language barriers. It also should not be used as the sole measure of an individual's cognitive functioning and should be interpreted in conjunction with other tests and assessments.