Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The dimension for Generalized Inverses of matrices and Penrose's troubled proof

1. Nov 25, 2011 #1
    For what matrices are generalized inverses A+ of matrices defined? For only Finite dimensional or both finite and infinite dim'l, i.e. dimension does not matter?

If generalized inverses are defined for infinite dim'l matrices, then I have a trouble in Penrose's proof for the existence of generalized inverses of matrices in 1955: (Penrose,1955) (A*A), (A*A)^2, (A*A)^3,... CANNOT BE LINEARLY INDEPENDENT.

Trouble: For finite dimensional mxn matrices, I okey (A*A), (A*A)^2, (A*A)^3,... are linearly dependent since the dimension of vectore space of all mxn matrices are mn. This is a stopping reason for that sequence.

But, how can we say that (A*A), (A*A)^2, (A*A)^3,... are linearly dependent in the infinite dimensional case as well? I cannot see any stopping reason here. I looked Penrose's proof (of 1955), but there, Penrose did not write any restrictive words about dim of matrices to only finite dimensional case.

Note: I attached the Penrose's 1955 original proof as well.

Attached Files:

• P1.jpg
      P1.jpg
      File size:
      67.5 KB
      Views:
    • P2.jpg
      P2.jpg
      File size:
      61.3 KB
      Views:
    • P3.jpg
      P3.jpg
      File size:
      31.5 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted