1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The dirac delta function

1. Feb 29, 2012 #1
    What's the reason that you write δ(x-x') rather than just δ(x') both indicating that the function is infinite at x=x' and 0 everywhere else? For me that notation just confuses me, and in my opinion the other notation is easier.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2012 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't understand exactly what you want to do, but it doesn't seem to make sense. Consider the equality $$\int f(x')\delta(x'-x)dx'=f(x).$$ Are you suggesting that we write the left-hand side as
    $$\int f(x')\delta(x')dx'$$ or as $$\int f(x')\delta(x)dx'\ ?$$ The former is independent of x, so it can't be equal to f(x). The latter at least contains an x, but since the "δ(something)" doesn't contain an x', it's not involved in the integration, so we should be able to take it outside the integral.

It would however make sense to define one "delta function" ##\delta_x## for each real number x: ##\delta_x(y)=\delta(y-x)##. Now x indicates where the "function" has its peak.

4. Feb 29, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[itex]\delta(x')[/itex] is not a function, it is a number. Specifically, it is 0 if x' is not 0, undefined if x= 0.

5. Feb 29, 2012 #4
    No, it is a continuous linear functional, or distribution. Physicists just call it a function but it is not a number.

6. Feb 29, 2012 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You really need to think before you speak. [itex]\delta(x)[/itex] and [itex]\delta(x- x')[/itex], for fixed x', are "functionals" or "generalized functions". [itex]\delta(x')[/itex] is a number, just as [itex](x- x')^2[/itex], for fixed x', is a function of x, but [itex]x'^2[/itex] is a number.

7. Feb 29, 2012 #6
    I didn't say for fixed x prime. The delta distribution is defined in terms of the independent variable. Look at the second integral in Fredrik's post above. Clearly well defined and equal to f(0). I can call my variables anything that I want and it doesn't change the meaning of the distribution. I still think that calling it a number is rather loose.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook