1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Dirac Equation

1. Jan 3, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] The Dirac Equation

I'm trying to understand the following property of the Dirac equation:

[tex](i \gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu} - m)\Psi(x) = 0[/tex]

Acting twice with [tex](i \gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu} - m)[/tex]:

[tex](i \gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu} - m)^{2} \Psi(x) = 0[/tex]

[tex] = [ - \gamma^{\mu}\gamma^{\nu}\partial_{\mu}\partial_{\nu} - 2im\gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu} + m^{2}]\Psi = 0[/tex]

But then somehow the book jumps to this step:

[tex] = [ 1/2 \left{\{\gamma^{\mu}, \gamma^{\nu}\right}\} \partial_{\mu}\partial_{\nu} + m^{2}]\Psi = 0[/tex]

And I have no idea how it got there! I understand the { } denote an anticommutator, but I just can't see how the factor of 1/2 has appeared, where the minus has gone and where the middle term has gone. Help!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex]\gamma^\mu \gamma^\nu \partial_\mu \partial _\nu=\gamma^\nu \gamma^\mu \partial_\mu \partial _\nu[/tex]. Add those and divide by two, to get the anticommutator. Let the middle term act on [tex]\Psi[/tex] and use the dirac equation to see where it has gone. The minus will become an overall minus once you do all of this.

4. Jan 3, 2008 #3
    Ah, I understand now why the commutator arises, thanks Dick. However, I'm still confused about the middle term business. If I understand you right, you're saying that:

[tex](-2im\gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu})\Psi[/tex]

is analagous to:

[tex](i\gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu} - m)\Psi = 0[/tex]

and hence should disappear? I don't quite understand that part...

5. Jan 3, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It doesn't disappear. It's equal to -2m^2*psi. Do you see why?

6. Jan 3, 2008 #5
    ^ Ah! Got it, [tex]i\gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu} = m[/tex] from the original eq. Yes, I see now! Thanks so much, Dick!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?