1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The direction of R

1. Nov 16, 2013 #1
    Dear friends, and science lovers,

I am doing some statics problems with moment( cross-product).And I've been having some problems solving them.I am getting the result but in opposite sign. I mean I know we have to do R x F , but looks like I am taking R in the wrong a. For example we have to determine the moment of a force at A about point P.Should I find the vector from A to P or from P to A.Same thing in the couple forces, where we have to find the vector R between the couple forces and to multiply with one of the forces.I am getting that vector but I dont know with which force to multiply.If you can help me clear this thing on my mind I would be really thankfull.

Kind regards,

Astrit Imeri

ME student

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2013 #2

jhae2.718

Gold Member

Moments are taken about a point. In the expression ##\vec{M} = \vec{r} \times \vec{F}##, the vector ##\vec{r}## is from the point you are taking moments about to the point of application of the force ##\vec{F}##. The following graphics (borrowed from Wiki) should illustrate this:
    Torque_animation.gif
    512px-Torque%2C_position%2C_and_force.svg.png

You can check your results using the right hand rule (assuming you're using a right-handed coordinate system!).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook