Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The dirty war for oil!

1. May 16, 2005 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7857167/

Top Kremlin operatives and a flamboyant Russian politician reaped millions of dollars in profits under the U.N. oil-for-food program by selling oil that Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein allowed them to buy at a deep discount, a Senate investigation has concluded.

The allegations -- which also include descriptions of kickbacks paid to Hussein -- are detailed in hundreds of pages of reports and documents made public last night by the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations in advance of a hearing tomorrow.

The documents outline a trail of oil and money that leads directly from Iraq to the Kremlin and the former chief of staff to Russian President Vladimir Putin and former president Boris Yeltsin. The report said Iraq sought to influence and reward the Russian government because it sits on the powerful U.N. Security Council that oversaw sanctions against the Hussein government. Russia repeatedly sided with Iraq on issues before the Security Council.

Last edited: May 16, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2005 #2
    I remember hearing about this. I heard that there were other UN members involved in the Oil-For-Food scandal too though.

4. May 16, 2005 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

There were like, 123 people found in one listing of people involved in this kind of crap. The # of countries involved were... gosh it was so long ago when i read the list... like 20? Mainly arab and african nations... but French diplomats and Russia were also getting huge sums of money

5. May 16, 2005 #4
    France is the new Soviet Union. Really.

Another thing one has to understand is that Russia is a very peculiar country. Somehow I don't feel either suprised nor offended by their behavior.

Last edited: May 17, 2005
  6. May 16, 2005 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Oh well they have some of the worlds largest oil reserves yet no way to refine a lot of it! Can't blame them for trying to stay competative in the industrial world... but hey, do a crime, and you get caught.

This forum is boring lol. I would have gotten 30 pages of flameing in my old forum :D I like it here i think

7. May 16, 2005 #6
    Again disinformation, Khodorovsky is getting jail sentence and all rats are spewing dirt to demonize Putin. Most of the biggest thiefs and swindlers luckilly escaped to Britain and Israel.
    BTW.Putin is the best thing ever happened for Russia. We need someone like him here!
    I admire Putin for staying cool when on all fronts he is attacked. Great Man !

8. May 16, 2005 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Who were the biggest theives?

9. May 16, 2005 #8

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I think stoned really meant to say Russia and France (and Kofi). :rolleyes:

10. May 16, 2005 #9
    Big fishes at large;

Leonid Nevzlin- Yukos shareholder resides in Israel

Vladimir Dubov- Yukos shareholder resides inIsrael

Mikhail Brudno- Yukos shareholder also resides in Israel

Dmitry Golobov- head of Yukos legal dpt resides in Britain.

Natalya Chernysheva- former head of regional buissnes dept of Rosprom resides in Britain

Dmitry Maruyev - fromer head of Rosprom dept resides in Britain.

Mikhail Trushin- chairman of the board of Yukos- moscow Co resides in Britain

Aleksander Gorbachev- general directoe of Apatit -Trade firm resides in Britain

Mikhail Zvantsev- president of Sahaneft Co residence unknown

Pavlev Ivlev- partner of the lawyer firm ALM Feldmans resides in USA

In prison:

Khodorovsky and Lebedev of course and ;

Alexy Pichugin- former head of security at Yukos

Svetlana Bakhamina- deputy head of Yukos legal dept

Vladimir Pereverzin- former deputy head of Yukos financial dept

Dimitry Velichko- president of Rosinkor

Vladimir Malakhovsky- general director of Ratibor Co

Oleg Vitka- general director of Zapadno-Malobalykskoye Co

Alexy Kurstin - acting head manager of Yukos- Moscow Co

11. May 16, 2005 #10

you know your politics, like I know my calculus :yuck:

12. May 16, 2005 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well you catch the big fish... i caught this damn bug that was flyen around my desk :D

What makes those people "big fishies" and not putin?

13. May 16, 2005 #12
  14. May 16, 2005 #13
  15. May 17, 2005 #14

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Source?
    :rolleyes:

16. May 17, 2005 #15

SOS2008

Gold Member

Everyone is involved to some extent or another.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7883488/

This reported today.

17. May 17, 2005 #16

Pengwuino

Gold Member

and accused its chairman of maligning his good name.

Well hes guilty as sin in my book after reading that lol.

18. May 17, 2005 #17

SOS2008

Gold Member

Hopefully it will all come out in time with investigation. It's disgusting how many people/countries have been involved, and by no means should this be excused. Regarding the OP, however, does anyone believe the U.S. and/or U.S. companies have clean hands when it comes to oil? My point is only to understand the premise of casting stones.

19. May 17, 2005 #18
    what investigation ? this investigation is a scam ! just learn more about it from different sourcess not from CNN/Fox disinformation network.

20. May 17, 2005 #19

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Wow stoned, im starting to wonder what kind of sources you actually have that make you think this is all some sort of conspiracy theory.

21. May 17, 2005 #20
    I think his point is that an investigation by a US Senate subcommittee will tend to be biased. I'm inclined to agree.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?