The Disobedient Eyelash: A Tale of Woe

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
In summary, this woman has cowlicks in her hair, errant eyelashes, and eyebrows that are starting to do the same thing. She is considering taking an eyelash curler to it, but is scared of the pain it may cause. She also has white nose hairs and wishes she knew about a product to dye them.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It's bad enough that I have "cowlicks" in my hair (spots where hair grows in a different direction making it stick up in places) but now I've got an eyelash doing the same thing. All my eyelashes curl up except for this one on the left eye that points straight out and slightly down. Why can't it stand at attention like the other good little soldiers? :frown:

I try to glue it to the others with mascara, but that doesn't work so well. I am thinking about taking an eyelash curler to it, but those things kinda scare me. Pulling it out would probably hurt like hell, so I'm not so inclined to do that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Math Is Hard said:
It's bad enough that I have "cowlicks" in my hair (spots where hair grows in a different direction making it stick up in places) but now I've got an eyelash doing the same thing. All my eyelashes curl up except for this one on the left eye that points straight out and slightly down. Why can't it stand at attention like the other good little soldiers? :frown:

I try to glue it to the others with mascara, but that doesn't work so well. I am thinking about taking an eyelash curler to it, but those things kinda scare me. Pulling it out would probably hurt like hell, so I'm not so inclined to do that.
I've gotten so frustrated before that I *did* pull it out with tweezers. Yeah, it hurts.

My eyebrows are starting to do that now. I always wondered why my eyebrow liner came with "glue", now I know.

MIH - I, too, am cursed with numerous cow licks and errant eyelashes. One in particular grows straight into my eye.

To my great surprise, plucking eyelashes isn't very painful, it's just scary as heck!

Plucking eybrow hairs hurts far, far worse, for me.

I would never pluck an eyelash, wouldn't it feel like you were going to tear your eyelid off?

The disobedient eyelash sounds a like a perfect match for the Watchful Poker Chip of H. Matisse.

It could make you the star of a cult following! :rofl:

Nah, mine just pull right out.

I only did it because this one hair grows right into my eye. I don't have much choice.

I am glad to know that I am not the only one who has to put up with this!

What I hate is plucking that one nose hair that suddenly pops out of your nostril and wraps around the side of your nose.

That happens to everyone...right? :uhh:

BobG said:
The disobedient eyelash sounds a like a perfect match for the Watchful Poker Chip of H. Matisse.

It could make you the star of a cult following! :rofl:

uhhh.. Watchful Poker Chip? I'm not familiar with that. Is it something like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
What I hate is plucking that one nose hair that suddenly pops out of your nostril and wraps around the side of your nose.

That happens to everyone...right? :uhh:

Isn't that what happened to Sigourney Weaver in Alien?

My nose hairs are white. Do you think I should dye them?

Math Is Hard said:
uhhh.. Watchful Poker Chip? I'm not familiar with that. Is it something like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU"?

It's a Ray Bradbury story.

Of course, in today's pop culture, I think Evo's nose hair would have more box office appeal. What suspense!

Last edited by a moderator:
jimmysnyder said:
You don't dye them?

jimmysnyder said:

I think you have stumbled on a new product: Nose-hair dye kits.

There already are special products on the market for dying um.. the carpet to match the drapes.

So, hey, why not something to match up the nose hair?

I was useing a eyelash curler once, then a BIG spider came crawling down the mirror, and I ended up ripping about half of them out as I jumped. I don't use eyelash curlers anymore.

Math Is Hard said:
There already are special products on the market for dying um.. the carpet to match the drapes.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

hypatia said:
I was useing a eyelash curler once, then a BIG spider came crawling down the mirror, and I ended up ripping about half of them out as I jumped. I don't use eyelash curlers anymore.
OUCH!

Math Is Hard said:
Man, I wish I didn't know that.

Aww its all those little things that make you girls cute. :smile:

hypatia said:

yikes! How long did it take for your lashes to grow back?

I used to be scared of eyelash curlers, but then I tried one.
Great for days when I try to wear both glasses and mascara: using the curler prevents my eyelashes from hitting the glasses lens and leaving mascara streaks on it!

But *shudder*. Hypatia, that is one durned scary story. ick.

Math Is Hard said:
I think you have stumbled on a new product: Nose-hair dye kits.

:uhh: Better delete that post, and quickly go to the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) first. Ideas are easily stolen.

I pull 'em out with my fingers, all manly and that there like...
Then I go shooting birds and beat up some geeks.

I just think it's fascinating that so many people I previously assumed male are in fact female.

- Warren

qspeechc said:
I pull 'em out with my fingers, all manly and that there like...
Then I go shooting birds and beat up some geeks.

You shoot chickens to use as bait for the geeks?

Be sure to only wound them. Geeks prefer live chickens.

Last edited:
chroot said:
I just think it's fascinating that so many people I previously assumed male are in fact female.

- Warren

What, you don't think guys wear mascara? :biggrin:

I've had those errant eyelashes too, and yup, I pluck 'em. It smarts for a moment, but sure beats the persistent irritation of an eyelash poking me in the eye.

Mascara, was first invented for men, to use on their hair. The first little slip covers for the backs of sofas and chairs, were called anti-mascaras, they kept the black mascara from rubbing off on to the furniture.
Woman didnt use the product until the 1920's.

And for those who asked, it takes about 6 weeks for lashes to grow back. But so far, its taken a lifetime to blank out the memory.

Math Is Hard said:

Wow, I did not know this. I thought that was the one way left to determine if the paint job was original. :uhh:

I was sitting here thinking about asking my wife to ... uh ... Well, see if she would just ... I mean they have this product that let's you ... That is, if she would be willing to ... Oh never mind. just ignore this post. My wife wouldn't do it to save her life. And I wouldn't ask her for fear of my own.

Moonbear said:
Wow, I did not know this. I thought that was the one way left to determine if the paint job was original. :uhh:

I'll just add it to the countless list of things I've learned about genitalia on PF.

- Warren

Moonbear said:

Now you have to take the pube root to find the answer.

Last edited:
chroot said:
I'll just add it to the countless list of things I've learned about genitalia on PF.

- Warren

I hope you have other sources as well :wink:

jimmysnyder said:
I was sitting here thinking about asking my wife to ... uh ... Well, see if she would just ... I mean they have this product that let's you ... That is, if she would be willing to ... Oh never mind. just ignore this post. My wife wouldn't do it to save her life. And I wouldn't ask her for fear of my own.

Sound like you're beating around the bush.

*rimshot*

Math Is Hard said:
Sound like you're beating around the bush.

*rimshot*

my, my---you're on the razor's edge of eliminating the whole dyeing problem

chroot said:

- Warren

Me too. :biggrin: