1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The dispersion relation of waves between two layers of varying density

1. Oct 31, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that c^2 = g/k*(rho1 - rho2)/ (rho1 + rho2)
    where rho1 and rho 2 are the different densities, k is the constant from solving the PDE (separation of variables).

2. Relevant equations

Use the fact that phi(1) --> 0 as y --> neg. infinity and phi(2) --> 0 as y --> infinity
    Also, use the:

The pressure condition:
    rho1*partial phi(1)/dt + rho1*g*eta = rho2*partial phi(2)/dt + rho2*g*eta

where phi is the velocity potential or phi =f(y)*sin(kx-wt), and eta = A*cos (kx-wt)

other useful equations:

at y=0:

partial phi/dy =partial eta/dt (after linearizing and ommiting higher quadratic terms)

partial phi/ft + g*eta =0 after a similar treatment of the pressure condition

3. The attempt at a solution

I first attempted to find the coefficients for the "function of 'y' portion" of the separation of variables: f(1)(y) = Ee^ky + De^-ky and f(2)(y)= Ge^ky + He^-ky

the condition of y --> infinity and neg. infinity tells me that two of these 4 constants must be equal to 0. From here I think that I need to replace these new values into the definition of phi so I can take partials of eta and phi to somehow use it in the pressure condition and then find the dispersion relation based on c^2 = w^2/ k^2. How this is to happen? I am am at a loss
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?