1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The displacement amplitude

1. May 29, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A bat can detect ultrasonic sound waves with an intensity as low as 1 × 10–13 Wm–2. An ultrasonic source emits sounds waves with a frequency of 54.0 kHz and a power of 1 × 10–7 W. Take the speed of (ultra)sound in air as 340 ms–1 and the density of air to be 1.2 kg/m3.

At a distance of 10.0 m from this source, calculate

(i) the displacement amplitude

(ii) the pressure amplitude of the ultrasonic wave

3. The attempt at a solution

For part (i) how can I use the equation [tex]\Delta P = \rho v \omega s_{max}[/tex] to find the displacement amplitude when I don't know what the pressure amplitude [tex]\Delta P[/tex] is? I can't find the pressure amplitude when I don't know the displacement amplitude.

Then I tried using the following formula to find the pressure amplitude

[tex]I=\frac{(\Delta P_{max})^2}{2\rho v}[/tex]

But I ended up with [tex]8.67 \times 10 ^{-6}[/tex] which is wrong. The answer has to be 1.84 x 10–12m and for part (ii) it is 0.255 mPa.

(P.S. I also know that the furthest distance at which a bat can detect this source is 282m. And the sound level in decibels is 19 dB.)

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted