1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The divergence theorem.

1. Apr 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let D be an area in R^3 and S be its surface. D fulfills the Divergence theorem. Let N be the unit normal on S and let the volume, V, be known. Let [tex] (\overline{x},\overline{y}, \overline{z}) [/tex] coordinates of the centre of mass of D be known (and the density delta is constant).

Lets define three vector fields:

[tex] F = (x)i + (y)j + (x)k [/tex]
    [tex] G = (xz)i + (2yz)j + (2z^2)k [/tex]
    [tex] H = (y^2)i + (2xy)j + (xz)k [/tex]

Find a formula for:
    [tex] \int\int_S F\bullet N dS, \int\int_S F\bullet N dS, \int\int_S F\bullet N dS [/tex]

where you use V, [tex] (\overline{x},\overline{y}, \overline{z}) [/tex] !!

2. Relevant equations

Divergence theroem states:

[tex] \int\int_R div F dA = \oint_C F\bullet\widehat{N}ds [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

divF is easily found but that doesn't tell me anything at the moment so there is nothin special going on really because I'm completely clueless what to do with the volume and the centre of mass. Any hints would be great.

Thanks in advanced and forgive my english.
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

The Divergence Theorem

The version of divergence theorem you stated is known as Green's Theorem and applies to a region in the plane (2-d). You need the 3-d version of Divergence theorem which states that:

[tex]\iint_S \vec{F}\cdot \vec{N}\, dS = \iiint_D \mbox{div } \vec{F}\, dV[/tex]​

Also, remember that the coordinates of the centroid of D are given by

[tex]\left( \bar{x},\bar{y},\bar{z}\right) = \left( \frac{1}{V}\iiint_D x\, dV,\frac{1}{V}\iiint_D y\, dV,\frac{1}{V}\iiint_D z\, dV \right)[/tex]​
  4. Apr 14, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I hope you determined that the divergence of F is the constant, 2. Of course, the integral of 2 over a region is just 2 times the volume, which you know!

The divergence of G is z+ 2z+ 4z= 7z. The "z" in the integrand should remind you of the calculation of the z-coordinate of the centroid (i.e. "center of mass").
  5. Apr 14, 2008 #4
    Thanks, this is solved. The teacher did not set this problem correctly up and it made me confused. In fact this was easy :P

But here is another problem!

Let S be 0 <= z = [tex] 1- \sqrt{x^2+y^2} [/tex] and

[tex] F : R^3\rightarrow R^3, (x,y,z) \rightarrow (x,z^2e^z+y,z) [/tex] be vector field.

a) Calculate [tex] \int\int_S F\cdot NdS [/tex] where N has positive z-coordinate.
    b) calculate [tex] \int\int_S curl F\cdot NdS [/tex] where N has negative z-coordinate.

a) I use Gauss theorem and find [tex] \int\int\int_D divDdV = \int\int\int_D 3 dV [/tex] but now I hit the brick wall because I'm not sure what to do with z ... What is it? A cone or Cylinder I can't see it.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  6. Apr 14, 2008 #5

Homework Helper

A half-cone with it's vertex at (0,0,1) opening downward. Quick reference (quadratic surfaces). Also, 3-d plots can be done here.
  7. Apr 14, 2008 #6
    Ahh, very nice! thanks. Now I get it.

[tex] \int\int\int_D 3dV = 3\cdot volume of cone = 3\cdot \frac{1}{3} \cdot \pi \cdot 1^2 \cdot 1 = \pi [/tex]
  8. Apr 14, 2008 #7
    the b) is still unsure because what I get from the curl part is -ze^z(2+z) and that confuses me. There is an example in the book but as almost always, they are pretty "easy" :P
  9. Apr 14, 2008 #8

Homework Helper

It doesn't matter: [tex]\mbox{div }\left(\mbox{curl }\vec{F}\right)=0[/tex] for any [tex]\vec{F}[/tex] for which the operation is defined.
  10. Apr 15, 2008 #9
    Ok. The teacher told me to use Stoke's Theorem wich I did but the answer was 0 and there is an example in the book with simular results wich says that the theorem "fails" in that particular example.

benorin: I'm not sure what div(curlF) = 0 tells me in this example other than I just know this rule from the book.Could you possibly inform me something more? :)

11. Apr 16, 2008 #10

Homework Helper

div(curl F)=0 + divergence theorem

By Divergence theorem

[tex]\iint_S \left(\mbox{curl }\vec{F}\right)\cdot \vec{N}\,dS = \iiint_D \mbox{div }\left(\mbox{curl }\vec{F}\right) \, dV[/tex]​

Consider that if [itex]\vec{F}=\left< P,Q,R\right>[/itex], then

[tex] \mbox{div }\left(\mbox{curl }\vec{F}\right) = \nabla\cdot\left(\nabla \times\vec{F}\right) = \left|\begin{array}{ccc}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}&\frac{\partial}{\partial y}&\frac{\partial}{\partial z}\\ \frac{\partial}{\partial x}&\frac{\partial}{\partial y}&\frac{\partial}{\partial z}\\ P & Q & R\end{arrary}\right| = 0 [/tex]​

since two rows are identical.

Hence the Triple integral above is zero.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?