Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The dog swim day

1. Aug 25, 2009 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just something I found on someone's blog. It looked like a fun event.

http://skylersdad.blogspot.com/2009/08/we-interrupt-pacific-northwest-updates.html
    100_2248.jpg

100_2245.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2009 #2

wolram

Gold Member

Who let the dogs out woof woof LOL

4. Aug 25, 2009 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For some reason cat swim day was never as popular.

5. Aug 25, 2009 #4
    I immagine that's why it's on the last day. Looks like fun. Do dogs get to use the slides?

6. Aug 25, 2009 #5
    I would love to see the cat day with owners and cats in the pool :biggrin:

7. Aug 25, 2009 #6
    Lots of scratching and growling.

8. Aug 25, 2009 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They do that somewhere in Portland each year. It does look like fun.

Back in the early eighties, I lived right across the street from a beach in San Diego - Dog Beach. It was open to dogs with no leashes required. Every now and then we would have a problem with some idiot and his agressive pit bull, but 99% of the time it was lot of fun. My dog, Licker, and I, would go for a run and swim every day. [well, only Licker would swim if it was too cold]

9. Aug 25, 2009 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I hadn't thought about the slides. Some of the dogs would probably like them.

10. Aug 25, 2009 #9

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Who else immediately thought of the movie Caddyshack when seeing the pictures? :tongue2:

11. Aug 25, 2009 #10

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When I was a kid, we had some neighbors who had a dachsund that would fetch things they threw in the lake -- it didn't matter if the things floated or sank, he would dive for them if he had to. I never got tired of seeing that.

12. Aug 25, 2009 #11

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm going on the assumption (er, well, hope, actually) that those are very well trained dogs!

A pool full of toddlers is probably more high-risk for a Caddyshack incident.

13. Aug 25, 2009 #12

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I didn't mean *that* part of the scene. Sheesh. I just meant the mayhem and water ballet parts o:)

14. Aug 25, 2009 #13

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Oh, my bad.

15. Aug 25, 2009 #14

turbo

Gold Member

My friend Max is a pit-bull German shepherd mix. He is a very smart, engaging dog, but for some reason he won't go swimming or even wade in chest-deep water. When we invite our neighbors to come to the family camp for a swim and a cookout, Max is always welcome, but even if everybody is in the water, he won't come in. He finds a shady spot to relax and watches the action, though. He might get in paw deep and take a drink, but that's it.

16. Aug 25, 2009 #15
    Just give him a toss.

17. Aug 25, 2009 #16

turbo

Gold Member

I can't do that to him! When I walk over to their place, he starts running around barking, looking for one of his toys and then leans against me looking up at me and making little whining noises so I will throw it for him. He sticks to me like glue. If I pushed him off the dock, I'd feel like a creep.

18. Aug 25, 2009 #17
    The local outdoor pool was scheduled to have one of these but too many uptight morons got their undies in a wad and they yanked it. They were gonna drain the pool anyways...

19. Aug 25, 2009 #18

turbo

Gold Member

Next time we go to camp, I'll steal a few of Max's favorite toys and take them out into the lake with me. He might come into the water to get them, and end up enjoying the dip.

I think the problem is that he has always HATED baths. His skin is sensitive to mites, ticks, etc, and he gets bathed in medicated shampoo periodically to help fight the inflammation. After the bath, he gets tied up for a while so he can dry off without getting everybody around him wet. That's pretty much the only time he is ever restrained. He responds to voice commands well, and is very wary of roads and vehicles, so he is never leashed or tied up under normal conditions.

20. Aug 25, 2009 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can teach some dogs to dive underwater. There was one guy in SD that could throw a rock into water up to ten-feet deep. That dog would always come up with that rock. The guy would even win bets from people and allow them to pick and throw the rock.

When I was a senior in high school, in Northern Cal, we had a favorite swimming hole, quite beautiful really, that had a number of natural diving spots. Eventually my buddy's dog started immitating us and diving in with us. I'm not sure of the height, but I would bet he dove from at least twenty feet at times. That is the only time I have ever seen a dog dive like that. Once he got the hang of it, he loved it and started diving without us!

21. Aug 25, 2009 #20

turbo

Gold Member

In HS, my friend's dog Tut (a really massive Lab) loved diving for rocks. The bottom dropped off so quickly in front of their camp that he'd easily be searching for rocks in 10-15 feet of cold water, but he loved it. If you threw a rock out too far and he couldn't find it, you'd have to call him in to shore and praise him and schmooze him a bit to make him forget that rock so you could throw another one. Dogs don't have wonderful near-vision, so I don't know how he did it, except maybe he could actually smell under water.....? It's a mystery. He was really good at it though.

Tut was really effective at herding kids, too. If he didn't want a kid getting near the water or some other perceived danger, he'd nuzzle them and deliver tiny "love-bites" to the sensitive skin just over the hips. He wasn't being mean, just protective.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook