Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The door story

1. Jul 2, 2004 #1
    A guy is sitting near the open door with an unhappy face.
    After some time another guy enters that door.
    First guy becomes happy and enters the door too.
    Why??

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2004 #2
    It is a a backery and the person is waiting to be the 1,000th person through the door tom get a free meal. He is currently 999th until the other person goes through.

Not right but hex that is life.

The Bob (2004 ©)

4. Jul 2, 2004 #3
    The only thing I know of that enters a door is a door key. You enter through a doorway.

5. Jul 2, 2004 #4
    He doesn't know whether it's the guys or girls toilet till he sees the other guy enter.

6. Jul 2, 2004 #5

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

ceptimus that is brilliant!
    it explains his discomfiture while waiting
    as shown by his pained expression
    and his subsequent relief

7. Jul 2, 2004 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Brilliant, I agree...but it doesn't seem complete. What does the other guy know that this guy doesn't ? How can he be sure the other guy didn't make the mistake that he may have made ? There is any reference to only one door...but perhaps there's only one restroom.

Nice, but if this is the solution, I'll have a bone to pick with vikas.

EDIT : Unless the "sex of the toilet" is indicated by a blue picture on a red door, and the distraught guy is color blind...or some such thing.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2004
  8. Jul 3, 2004 #7
    well, ceptimus is absolutely correct.
    actually i came across it as a lateral puzzle (for those who don't know what it is, it is a puzzle where you can ask the person who ognally gave the question, any sort of question which can be answerd either as YES or NO).

i was expecting the same here, but i guess ceptimus was familiar with this problem, or he is great at making guessing.

9. Jul 3, 2004 #8
    I suppose the guy waiting in discomfort could be a foreigner, or illiterate, and there is a written name like "Gentlemen" or similar on the door, rather than a symbol.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?