1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The dot product

1. Nov 4, 2004 #1
    Let
    n = (a,b,c)
    v = (x,y,z)

Whatever the dot product of these vectors equal to, lets call d, the vector n is perpendicular to v. Again, I cannot stay calm and ask WHY?

If we call n = (a,b); v= (x,y) ==> ax+by= d and the slope of this line is -a/b whereas the slope of the vector n is b/a. Yes, they are perpendicular since -a/b * b/a = -1 (tanx * tan(90+x) = -1)
    I can visualize and experiment it in 2-D but in 3-D I can't.

Also, how do we define a line that passes through the origin and, for instance (1,1,1). I have trouble transforming my logic from x-y plane to space.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2004 #2
    Where did you get this faulty statement from? n and v are perpendicular if and only if their dot product is 0 (i.e. d = 0).

4. Nov 4, 2004 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The line that passes throught (0,0,0) and (1,1,1) is given by:
    x= t, y= t, z= t.

You know that the equations will be linear and taking t= 0 gives (0,0,0) while taking t= 1 gives (1,1,1).

In general: any straight line, in 3 dimensions, can be written x= at+ b, y= ct+ d, z= et+ f for some choice of a, b, c, d, e, f. If you are given two points, (x00,z0) and (x1,y1,z1), choose either one to be t= 0, the other t= 1 and plug the values into the equations. That gives 6 equations for the 6 letters.

If you understand that one, try this: what's the equation of the line passing through (0,0,0,0) and (1, 1, 1, 1) in 4 dimensions?

5. Nov 4, 2004 #4
    What I meant was, the vector (a,b,c) is always perpendicular to the plane ax+by+cz = d for any value of d. WHY?

6. Nov 4, 2004 #5

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What defines a plane? It is a point in the plane, p and the normal, n. Why? A point, x, is in the plane if and only if the displacement vector from p to x is zero, ie

n.(p-x)=0, or n.x=n.p

we set n.p = d.

7. Nov 4, 2004 #6
    no.

First the dot product gives a scaler, not a vector
    second, the two vectors are only perpendicular if their dot is 0

let u = n
    let k = v - (<v,u>/||u||^2)*u

Where <> is the dot product, and ||u|| is u’s norm

u and k are perpendicular

Last edited: Nov 4, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?