1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The double slit

1. Jul 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A double slit is composed of two single slits. Each slit has a width of w = 0.01 mm and they are spaced s = 0.04 mm apart. Because the double slit is actually two single slits, the single slit diffraction pattern is superimposed over the double slit pattern and so some of the double slit maxima are missing because they overlap with single slit minima. Find the number (m) of the first missing maximum in the double slit pattern.

2. Relevant equations

wavelength = (ym/m)(s/l)

3. The attempt at a solution

s = 0.04 mm
    w=0.01 mm

I am completely lost on this one. I know I need the wavelength to find this answer along with the maxima value (ym) and a value for L. could you please help me get started?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have the double-slit equation. You'll also need the single-slit equation in order to find the first single-slit minimum.

It's possible the wavelength term will cancel out in the equations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?