Earliest Photons: Quark Era & Neutrino Decoupling

• Thread starter mrcotton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photons
In summary, photons were around since the bigbang and interacted with the charged particles in the plasma until the universe cooled. This led to the creation of protons, neutrons, and electron-positron pairs. Once the universe separated into the electroweak, strong, and weak forces, the photons ceased interacting and remained as the only bosons.
mrcotton
Where there photons around in the electroweak era?

I read that
The CMB photons travel through the universe relatively unimpeded until recombination when the atoms formed and before this they were being scattered. Were they around in the quark anti quark gluon plasma?

I am also interested in what is meant by neutrino decoupling

Thanks for any information

Mr C

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Photons were around since the bigbang. However until the universe cooled down they were constantly interacting with the charged particles making up the plasma.

Thanks for the response
So did the quarks and anti-quarks and the electron positron pairs come into existence from pairs of photons or both pairs of photons and gluons?
I appreciate the answer as this helps plug the holes in my limited knowledge

Electron (positron) pairs come from photon pairs. Quarks and gluons are a little over my head. At high enough energy photon pairs could lead to proton (antiproton) pairs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-photon_physics

The above should help.

Brilliant thanks for this lead. I have also dug out my first three minutes by Weinberg.
I am happy that there is a time when photons are making baryons and fermions and as the temperature cools then this conversion and anhillation stop and a residual amount of matter remains. What I can't seem to find any information on is when the Universe was even hotter and there were quark anti quark pairs and gluons, were there photons and the bosons associated with the weak force then as well as the gluons, or does this stage have the gluon as the only boson. So the photons appear when the symetry is broken and the electroweak force and strong force seperate.
This may not even make sense.

Thanks for your responses so far

I don't have material to help you in general. My understanding is that photons were there from the very beginning.

https://www.google.com/#q=big+bang+gluons

The above is what I got from Google. There should be something useful.

What is the Quark Era?

The Quark Era is a period of the early universe, between approximately 10^-12 seconds and 10^-6 seconds after the Big Bang. During this time, the universe was extremely hot and dense, and the four fundamental forces of nature were unified.

What are photons?

Photons are particles of light and other forms of electromagnetic radiation. They have zero mass and travel at the speed of light. In the early universe, photons were the dominant form of energy and played a crucial role in the evolution of the universe.

What is neutrino decoupling?

Neutrino decoupling is the process by which neutrinos, which are electrically neutral particles, became separated from the other particles in the early universe. This happened around 1 second after the Big Bang, when the temperature of the universe dropped to a point where neutrinos could move freely without interacting with other particles.

How were the earliest photons produced?

The earliest photons were produced during the Big Bang, when the universe was extremely hot and dense. As the universe expanded and cooled, these photons were able to travel freely without interacting with matter, leading to the formation of the cosmic microwave background radiation.

What can we learn from studying earliest photons?

Studying the earliest photons can provide valuable insights into the early universe and the processes that took place during the first moments after the Big Bang. It can also help us understand the fundamental laws of physics and the evolution of the universe over time.