Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Earth going through the galactic plane?

1. Feb 3, 2007 #1
    Ok I opened this thread because of the Horizon project.
    Link: www.thehorizonproject.com

For starters they claim that the earth traverses up and down though a narrow band called the milky way or better put the galactic plane in which I have no problems with.

Also the astrophysics say we have a massive, not a super massive BH in the center with smaller other BH or dying stars I have no qalms with this.

I also have no problems with the earth having shifted poles every so 100 thousand years.

I do however doubt the valitity of the Horizon Project's doom and gloom for the planet earth going through this galactic plane.

How is it that an average black hole Sag A in our galaxy which is only 6 million suns tight and a sun/mercury orbit wide have such a drastic effect 100 million light years out here in our solar system?

Did Sag A create this galactic plane?

Are we in fact transversing this galactic plane soon and will this have catatrophic affects like the earth shift poles?

Thanks for your time.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

That's just pure crackpot gibberish. It isn't worth even bothering trying to debunk it.

Ok, just one: the pole shift. The earth's magnetic poles shift. Unless you use a magnetic compass to navigate, you won't notice.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?