The economics of nuclear power

In summary, the conversation discusses the estimated cost of building nuclear power stations in Florida, the factors affecting the economics of nuclear power, and the role of the NRC in hindering the construction of new plants. The NRC's risk-averse nature and budget cuts have caused delays in license amendment processing, making it difficult for plant owners to apply for necessary amendments. This is seen as a major impediment to the growth of the nuclear industry.
mheslep said:
The WSJ had an article Saturday on LED replacement of street lighting. One draw back I missed above is that one doesn't get 50,000 hours of LED life if the street light is hit by lightning or destroyed by a hurricane, forcing full cost replacement, something about which the FL utilities are particularly aware.

On the other hand LED street lighting is taking off much faster than I knew, with considerable push back from utilities. Aside from the accident problem, the utilities don't want their night time, i.e. off peak production, load lowered. They want exactly the fleet they have, building no more, to pay day and night as much as possible. Street light customers, i.e. municipalities, want the lower bills.

Edit:
NA-BO686_STREET_G_20111223181508.jpg

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204083204577078202836500244.html