Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The effect of acceleration on our body

1. Nov 23, 2004 #1
    Why does it feel good when we exprience an acceleration or a change in acceleration ? (Have you ever used seasaws? :biggrin: )

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2004 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, if you actually enjoy the feeling of being in a fast-moving vehicle suddenly brought to halt, you're welcome to it.

4. Nov 23, 2004 #3
    I asked "WHY" we enjoy it.

5. Nov 23, 2004 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, I don't enjoy large accelerations&jolts.
    I certainly don't know why YOU love them so much..:wink:

6. Nov 23, 2004 #5

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Many people do.

That's why they bungee jump, dive out of aeroplanes and ride rollercoasters.
    The more g's they are submitted too, the more they enjoy it.
    This was in a docu I've seen. It has to do with adrenaline. People have these, how do you say, 'primal' instincts/functions which have become docile in our society. Most of these have to do with the adrenaline you get when you're scared.
    That's why some people like to watch scary horror movies.
    Most like something more physical like going into freefall.
    For some it takes extreme forms and jump down waterfalls or climb cliffs without protection.

Actually, I think accelerating at a high rate feels good too.
    It's different from getting injured by a sudden stop or bump ofcourse.

7. Nov 23, 2004 #6

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm not a bungee jumper myself, so I have a lot of sympathy for the position that it's not a given that people enjoy accelerations.

As far as bungee jumping goes, my impression is that it gives people an endorphin rush. Basically, falling is scary, but the fright triggers endorphins, which wind up being ultimately pleasurable.

You might get a different answer from people who bungee jump, but I'd say that you'd be likely to get a less clincal answer like "it's fun" that wouldn't particularly answer your question either.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?