The effect of acceleration on our body

In summary, the feeling of acceleration or change in acceleration is enjoyable for many people because it triggers an adrenaline rush and endorphins. This can be seen in activities such as bungee jumping, skydiving, and riding rollercoasters. These activities tap into primal instincts and provide a sense of thrill and excitement. However, not everyone enjoys these types of accelerations and for some, it can even be uncomfortable or scary. Ultimately, the enjoyment of acceleration is subjective and varies from person to person.
Omid
Why does it feel good when we exprience an acceleration or a change in acceleration ? (Have you ever used seasaws? :biggrin: )

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if you actually enjoy the feeling of being in a fast-moving vehicle suddenly brought to halt, you're welcome to it.

I asked "WHY" we enjoy it.

Well, I don't enjoy large accelerations&jolts.
I certainly don't know why YOU love them so much..:wink:

arildno said:
Well, I don't enjoy large accelerations&jolts.
I certainly don't know why YOU love them so much..:wink:
Many people do.

That's why they bungee jump, dive out of aeroplanes and ride rollercoasters.
The more g's they are submitted too, the more they enjoy it.
This was in a docu I've seen. It has to do with adrenaline. People have these, how do you say, 'primal' instincts/functions which have become docile in our society. Most of these have to do with the adrenaline you get when you're scared.
That's why some people like to watch scary horror movies.
Most like something more physical like going into freefall.
For some it takes extreme forms and jump down waterfalls or climb cliffs without protection.

Actually, I think accelerating at a high rate feels good too.
It's different from getting injured by a sudden stop or bump ofcourse.

I'm not a bungee jumper myself, so I have a lot of sympathy for the position that it's not a given that people enjoy accelerations.

As far as bungee jumping goes, my impression is that it gives people an endorphin rush. Basically, falling is scary, but the fright triggers endorphins, which wind up being ultimately pleasurable.

You might get a different answer from people who bungee jump, but I'd say that you'd be likely to get a less clincal answer like "it's fun" that wouldn't particularly answer your question either.

1. What is acceleration and how does it affect our body?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. It affects our body by causing changes in our speed or direction of movement. When we experience acceleration, our body may feel heavier or lighter, and we may also experience a force pushing or pulling us in a certain direction.

2. How does acceleration impact our organs and bodily functions?

Acceleration can have various effects on our organs and bodily functions. For example, sudden acceleration can cause a feeling of weightlessness or dizziness, while rapid deceleration can cause a feeling of heaviness or discomfort. Additionally, our heart rate and blood pressure may change in response to acceleration, which can impact our overall health and well-being.

3. Can acceleration be harmful to our body?

Yes, acceleration can be harmful to our body, especially if it occurs suddenly or at high levels. It can cause injuries such as whiplash, concussions, or even more serious conditions like internal bleeding. It is important to take precautions and properly manage acceleration to avoid potential harm to our body.

4. How does our body adapt to different levels of acceleration?

Our body has a natural ability to adapt to different levels of acceleration. For example, our inner ear helps us maintain balance and equilibrium during changes in acceleration, and our muscles and joints can adjust to changes in direction and speed. However, prolonged or extreme acceleration can overwhelm our body's ability to adapt and lead to negative effects on our health.

5. What are some real-life examples of how acceleration affects our body?

There are many real-life examples of how acceleration affects our body, such as riding a roller coaster, being in a car during sudden braking or acceleration, or participating in sports that involve quick changes in direction. Astronauts also experience high levels of acceleration during takeoff and reentry, which can have significant effects on their bodies.