Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The effects of temperature variation on the electrical resistance of distilled water

1. Oct 25, 2008 #1
    I recently got this as an idea for an interesting independent project. I had planned to do the experiment using the four point method of resistance measurement, but I'm stuck on figuring out just what materials I might need to use. I intend to use the basic high school equipment, nothing too fancy, but still be able to be accurate. I also thought of using dc and ac current in the experiment.
    Does anyone have ideas of how I might be able to do this, and what materials I might need to use.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Re: the effects of temperature variation on the electrical resistance of distilled wa

<Moderator Note: Moved from Independent Research forum.>

4. Oct 29, 2008 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: the effects of temperature variation on the electrical resistance of distilled wa

Isn't 4 wire normally used when the resistance to be measured is very small compared to the lead resistance?
    You might want to look at a Wheastone Bridge for measuring small changes in a large resistance.

ps. If you are planning to use AC, please don't use 115/220V AC line power for an experiement with water spilled everywhere!

5. Oct 29, 2008 #4

Maybe I'm just being stupid here by why not just use a megger to do this? Unless that is you want crazy super accurate results.

6. Oct 30, 2008 #5

You're going to need "crazy super accurate results" if you are dealing with pure water. It is not a conductor -- it is an insulator.

7. Nov 4, 2008 #6

I might make this research for future refrence, so yes, I would love to have "crazy super accurate results."

I still want to use distilled water though. But it's just because I do not think I am able to access pure water right now.

mgb_phys: You are most certainly right about the 4-wire method. And I am indeed open to a variety of ideas to make my research a success, so how exactly might I set up the required equipment to measure distilled water electrical resistance using the wheastone bridge? Coz this is getting quite interesting, in terms of simple apparatus.

I appreciate the ideas guys :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?