1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Electronegativity of Ions?

1. Sep 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"Rank the following in the order of increasing absolute electronegativity: F, Li, Ti4+, P, H, C, Mg2+, Li+."

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

- I can rank neutral species no problem. Periodic table has that covered, and Pauling values are easy to find. Ions don't have this.

- I know these ions have an electron configuration of the noble gases: [He], [Ne], and [Ar] which are not electronegative, but due to the increases effective nuclear charge on the valence shell of these ions, I'm not sure if the same trend applies.

- I've looked into ionization energies, atomic radii, electron affinities, etc., but I'm really stumped. I can rank the ions on their own, and the neutral atoms on their own, but I'm not sure how to integrate them.

- As for the ions, I believe that it makes sense for Li+ to have the greatest EN of the three ions due to it being the harder specie. Harder species tend to have an increases EN, while softer ones have lower EN.

- My Inorganic textbook mentioned the following: "Li has a low electronegativity, the Li+ ion has a relatively high EN resulting from the extremely high second ionization potential." I looked up, and compared all the ionization energies pertaining to the valence electrons of each species, and the ranking came up as follows:

Li < P < H < C < Ti4+ < F < Mg2+ < Li+

I'm not sure how I feel about Mg2+ and Li+ being above F in electronegativity though, so I feel like I may be missing a factor. Please help!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?