What are the commutation relations for the electroweak gauge bosons?

In summary, the conversation is discussing an exercise on the electroweak gauge bosons commutation relations, with a focus on proving a given equation. The participants are struggling with the notation and simplification of the equation.
Safinaz
Hi all,

I have the following exercise about the The electroweak gauge bosons commutations relations:

Homework Statement

If ## [ \tau_i ,\tau_k] = 2 i \epsilon_{ikl} \tau_l ## and
## \{ \tau_i ,\tau_k\} = 2 \delta_{ik} ##

where ## \bar{\tau} ## are the Pauli matrices,

Then prove that:
(1) ## \bar{ \tau} \bar{A_\alpha} . \bar{ \tau} \bar{A^\alpha} = ( A_\alpha^1 + i A_\alpha^2) ( A^{\alpha, 1} - i A^{\alpha, 2} ) + A_\alpha^3 A^ {\alpha,3} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

I said that
## \tau_i \tau_k = \delta_{ik} + i \epsilon_{ikl} \tau_l ##, then

## \bar{ \tau} \bar{A_\alpha} . \bar{ \tau} \bar{A^\alpha} = \bar{A_\alpha} \bar{A^\alpha} + i \epsilon_{ikl} \tau_l \bar{A_\alpha} \bar{A^\alpha} ##

But I can't complete for the next step to prove the enquiry ..

Bests,
Safinaz

Physics news on Phys.org
That notation is confusing. The left side of equation (1) seems to be a 2x2 matrix while the right side isn't. That only makes sense if we assume there is implicit unit matrix on the right side. But the equation still doesn't seem right. Doesn't it simplify to Aμ.Aμ ?

1. What are electroweak gauge bosons?

Electroweak gauge bosons are elementary particles that mediate the interactions between elementary particles that carry electric charge and weak nuclear force. They are responsible for the weak interaction, which is one of the four fundamental forces of nature.

2. What are the electroweak gauge bosons called?

The three gauge bosons are called W+, W-, and Z bosons. They were first predicted by the electroweak theory proposed by physicists Sheldon Glashow, Abdus Salam, and Steven Weinberg in the 1960s. The W bosons are responsible for mediating the weak force, while the Z boson mediates the neutral current weak force.

3. How do electroweak gauge bosons differ from other particles?

Electroweak gauge bosons are unique in that they do not experience the strong nuclear force, which is responsible for holding the nucleus of an atom together. They also have a very short lifespan, with the W and Z bosons decaying within fractions of a second after being created.

4. How were electroweak gauge bosons discovered?

The W and Z bosons were first discovered in 1983 at CERN in Switzerland, through experiments conducted at the Super Proton Synchrotron. The discovery confirmed the existence of the electroweak theory and led to the Nobel Prize in Physics being awarded to Carlo Rubbia and Simon van der Meer in 1984.

5. What is the significance of electroweak gauge bosons?

Electroweak gauge bosons play a critical role in our understanding of the fundamental forces of nature. They provide a link between the electromagnetic and weak forces, and their discovery has helped to unify the theories of electromagnetism and the weak nuclear force into the Standard Model of particle physics.