The Elegant Universe (Nova Series) - Thoughts?

• Thread starter khkwang
  • Start date
Hi all, new poster here!

I signed up because I'm nearing the end of the book of The Elegant Universe and I was wanting to know what I should read next.

My background... I'm 34 years old and have a B.Sc.(hons) [an English university "bachelor of science" degree with honours] in Music Technology.

I studied maths and physics at school and college until age 18, but haven't studied either academically past that point.

I've read Brief History Of Time (12 years ago or so and found it pretty hard going at the time, though I think I'd understand it more now), Six Easy Pieces (which I thought was superb) and am about a chapter from the end of The Elegant Universe (which I have really enjoyed).

I want to learn more about Calabi-Yau shapes and the curled-up dimensions, and am not afraid of learning the maths to go with it, but as I mentioned, I currently only have "an 18-year-old's" maths knowledge so if there's an "ultimate book of Calabi-Yau shapes and curled up dimensions" that requires a higher understanding of maths, then I'd like to know which maths book I would need to read first in order to fully understand the Calabi-Yau book. :)

Thanks in advance,

Philip... Phil to you.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Hi all, new poster here!

I signed up because I'm nearing the end of the book of The Elegant Universe and I was wanting to know what I should read next.
Well, you could always read the "sequel": The Fabric of the Cosmos

Well, you could always read the "sequel": The Fabric of the Cosmos
Is it actually a sequel? Does it add to the original?

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Is it actually a sequel? Does it add to the original?
I am not sure. Time to dust it off and re-read it...

I am not sure. Time to dust it off and re-read it...
:smile:

The thing with TEU was that there was no maths in there (except the uber-hard maths in the appendices), which was great for learning the basics (or for those that already understand the maths behind it), but I'm really interested in learning more about the maths of 11D and "this Calabi-Yau thing" so do you (or anyone else) know of a good starting point along those lines?

Sorry about all the brackets. (I'm not really :wink:)