What is the elution volume and how does it relate to protein purification?

• Thread starter mountain
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, the elution volume (Ve) is the volume of the buffer solution before the peak of protein is eluted, and it is closer to the volume of the buffer to the middle of the peak rather than the volume before the UV-absorbance of the protein. The UV-absorbance and peak are different things, but are closely related in HPLC with UV detection.
mountain
hi guys!

i have difficulty in understanding this sentence, since English is not my language. here it is : "The elution volume (Ve) is the volume of buffer before which the peak of protein elutes." hallo! yes, i don't get it. does it mean Ve of that protein is the volume of the buffer before the UV-absorbance of that protein or does it mean that the volume of the buffer to the middle of the peak?

p.s! UV-absorbance and peak are different things here.

thanks for helping!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hello,

As I'm not a native English speaker, I think I found the logic behind this sentence :smile:

You use a buffer solution to "elute" some material onto a chromatographic column. What I mean with "elute" is to persuade a mixture through a column, causing any impurities or simply "different" substances to be separated one another. I am quite sure you know these, but I wanted to stress them anyway.

Well, what you're asking is closer to the second alternative in my opinion. But if we are talking about HPLC with UV detection, I presume that they are supporting each other. Peak centers are considered to identify peaks, so your second suggestion fits better. I have poor knowledge about UV detection, but if it is calibrated according to that kind of protein before analysis by recording the full spectrum and monitoring the absorption maxima, it points to the same analyte, I think.

Hi there! I can understand the confusion with this sentence, as it can be a bit technical and may require some background knowledge in chemistry or biology. Let me try to explain it in simpler terms.

The elution volume (Ve) is a term used in chromatography, which is a technique used to separate and purify different substances. In this case, we are talking about proteins. The elution volume refers to the volume of the buffer (a solution used in chromatography) where the protein peak appears. The protein peak is the point on the graph where the protein is most concentrated and can be measured through its UV-absorbance.

So, to answer your question, the Ve of the protein is the volume of the buffer before the protein peak appears. It is not referring to the volume of the buffer to the middle of the peak. I hope this helps clarify things for you. Let me know if you have any other questions!

What is the elution volume (Ve)?

The elution volume (Ve) is a term commonly used in chromatography, which refers to the volume of the mobile phase required to elute a particular component from the stationary phase. It is also known as the retention volume.

How is the elution volume (Ve) calculated?

The elution volume (Ve) is typically calculated by dividing the total volume of the mobile phase used by the number of theoretical plates. This value can also be determined by measuring the distance traveled by the solute and dividing it by the total distance traveled by the mobile phase.

What factors can affect the elution volume (Ve)?

The elution volume (Ve) can be influenced by a variety of factors, such as the composition and flow rate of the mobile phase, the properties of the stationary phase, and the nature of the solute being separated. Temperature, pressure, and pH can also impact the elution volume.

Why is the elution volume (Ve) important in chromatography?

The elution volume (Ve) is a critical parameter in chromatography as it can help determine the separation efficiency and specificity of the method. It can also be used to identify and quantify the components present in a sample, as each component will have a unique elution volume.

How can the elution volume (Ve) be optimized in chromatography?

The elution volume (Ve) can be optimized by adjusting various parameters such as the composition and flow rate of the mobile phase, the stationary phase, and the temperature and pressure conditions. It is important to find the optimal conditions for each specific separation to achieve the best resolution and elution of components.