Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The empire does not strike back

1. Aug 13, 2015 #1

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

But they could be on the way to a theatre near you.

4. Aug 13, 2015 #3

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

An interesting feature of these papers is they severely constrain the probability of any type III civilizations in the local universe, which raises [at least in my mind] four reasonable explanations that are not hopelessly anthropocentric - 1] they have not been around long enough to be detectable 2]none have survived long enough to become detectable 3] we are not looking for the right things 4] space travel is even more enormously difficult than we think.

5. Aug 23, 2015 #4

BWV

The work referred to here
    https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/gamma-ray-bursts-grb-and-distribution-of-life.769979/

Mentions (at least in the popular summary I read) a higher frequency of gamma ray bursts until about 5 billion years ago, which would perhaps make us an early intelligent species.

I also wonder when the critical point in time was in our galaxy where the number of supernovae has been sufficient to create and distribute the heavier elements necessary for life to emerge

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook