Is There a Limit to How Much Light Can Be Stretched Out in a Black Hole?

• B
  • Thread starter Borrah Campbell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Redshift
In summary: But basically, the speed of light is a limit and the wavelength of light is limited by how much it can be stretched. However, gravity can't extend the wavelength infinitely, so if a black hole has a mass greater than the speed of light, then its gravity can cause light to be stretched out to an infinite wavelength. However, even if the black hole's mass was infinite, light would still be limited to a finite wavelength by the speed of light. So, even if a black hole was emitting light with an infinite wavelength, we would still be unable to see it because the light would be too fast for us to see.As for what the light would look like, that's a bit harder to say. If the black hole was emitting
Borrah Campbell
The expansion of our universe stretches out light causing the phenomenon known as "redshift."

When light falls into a black hole... Its wavelength gets stretched out infinitely? Light with a flat wavelength? Or is there some limit to how much a wave of light can be stretched out... There's a limit to how fast light can move... so why not a limit on redshift... and would a black hole's gravity be enough to reach it?

If so, what would this light look like? Could we even detect it? Could black holes be shining with light that we don't understand?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Borrah Campbell said:
When light falls into a black hole... Its wavelength gets stretched out infinitely?

Actually I think it blueshifts as it falls in, just like how it behaves when it falls to Earth. But this may depend on your choice of coordinate systems and observers, so I'm not sure.

Borrah Campbell said:
Or is there some limit to how much a wave of light can be stretched out...

There is no limit. A light wave can be stretched or compressed to any arbitrary wavelength.

Borrah Campbell said:
Could black holes be shining with light that we don't understand?

No. Light that falls into a black hole stays there. It can never escape from beyond the event horizon.

"There is no limit." ... Well that was quick : ) Somebody delete this thread! lol. Thanks Drakkith for the shared knowledge.

To a distant observer the light is red shifted.

mathman said:
To a distant observer the light is red shifted.

Can you elaborate on that?

Drakkith said:
Can you elaborate on that?
Let me jump in.
If you're an observer deep in a gravitational well, you see light from a source at higher potential, falling in, as blueshifted. If you're an observer high in a gravitational well (i.e., distant observer), you see light coming from a source deep in the well as redshifted.

Light coming toward you if you are 'near' the event horizon will be red shifted if rising from deeper in the potential well and blue shifted if coming from 'outside' the well. If you're not 'in' the well, then light falling into it will be red shifted. (keeping in mind that the 'well' is theoretically infinite in size, but practically limited by the 1/r² nature of gravity.). Light will cross the event horizon at time ∞, meaning the event horizon isn't a surface in space, it is a surface in space-time. Also note that while theoretically light can have any wave-length, it isn't meaningful (since we can't measure it, ever) to consider light with wave-lengths longer that the diameter of the Observable Universe. IOW, there is a real limit on the longest wave-lengths (that being 13.8 billion light years). Beyond that, there be dragons.

Likes nnunn
Bandersnatch said:
Let me jump in.
If you're an observer deep in a gravitational well, you see light from a source at higher potential, falling in, as blueshifted. If you're an observer high in a gravitational well (i.e., distant observer), you see light coming from a source deep in the well as redshifted.

Oh I understand that. I just didn't know what exactly mathman was getting at since the OP was talking about light falling into the black hole, which I took to be light falling into the event horizon. If this is all he meant then it makes perfect sense.

Borrah Campbell said:
The expansion of our universe stretches out light causing the phenomenon known as "redshift."

When light falls into a black hole... Its wavelength gets stretched out infinitely? Light with a flat wavelength? Or is there some limit to how much a wave of light can be stretched out... There's a limit to how fast light can move... so why not a limit on redshift... and would a black hole's gravity be enough to reach it?

If so, what would this light look like? Could we even detect it? Could black holes be shining with light that we don't understand?

I think you don't understand the concept of rates of change and limits yet. I didn't really grasp it until I took calculus.

1. What is redshift and why is it important?

Redshift is a phenomenon in which the wavelength of light is stretched, causing it to appear more red, as it travels through space. This is an important concept in astronomy because it allows us to measure the distance and speed of objects in the universe.

2. Why is "The End... Of Redshift?" a significant topic of study?

"The End... Of Redshift?" is significant because it challenges our current understanding of the universe and could potentially lead to new discoveries about the mysteries of space and time.

3. Can redshift be reversed or is it a one-way process?

Redshift is a one-way process and cannot be reversed. As light travels through space, its wavelength will continue to stretch, causing a greater redshift.

4. How does the end of redshift affect our understanding of the expanding universe?

The end of redshift could potentially change our understanding of the expanding universe. If redshift is no longer a reliable measure of distance and speed, it could lead to a new understanding of the expansion rate and structure of the universe.

5. What are some potential implications of "The End... Of Redshift?"

If redshift is proven to no longer be a reliable measure, it could have significant implications for our current theories and models of the universe. It could also open up new avenues of research and lead to a better understanding of the fundamental principles of the universe.