Kinetic Energy of Hemi-sphere: The Energy Method

In summary, the problem is asking for an expression for the kinetic energy of a solid hemisphere of radius r when it is slightly rolled and released on a hard flat surface, assuming no slipping. The solution involves finding the center of mass of the hemisphere and using the height difference to calculate the kinetic energy. It can be approached similarly to a traditional pendulum problem.
robip

Homework Statement

A solid hemi-sphere of radius r rests on a hard flat surface. If rolled slightly in 1 direction and released, the hemisphere will rock from side to side, assume no slipping. Write an expression for the kinetic energy of the hemi-sphere during the small amplitude motion

Homework Equations

0.5mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure even where to start :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by figuring out how the center of mass of the hemisphere is raised when it is tilted to some angle theta. That raising of the CM is what provides the energy to make the motion happen.

thanks I will give it a go and get back, I am assuming that the center of mass would be through the axii of symetry and 3/8th's the radius i.e x0,y0,z3r/8

ok i am completely stuck, i have no idea how to work this out

Can you do it for a traditional pendulum?

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is a scalar quantity that is dependent on the mass and velocity of the object.

How is kinetic energy calculated?

The kinetic energy of an object is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * mv2, where m is the mass and v is the velocity of the object.

What is the energy method for calculating kinetic energy?

The energy method is a mathematical approach used to calculate the kinetic energy of a system. It involves finding the total amount of energy in the system and then using the conservation of energy principle to determine the kinetic energy.

What is a hemi-sphere?

A hemi-sphere is a 3-dimensional shape that is half of a sphere. It has a flat base and a curved surface, with a circular cross-section.

How is the energy method used to calculate the kinetic energy of a hemi-sphere?

The energy method for a hemi-sphere involves finding the total energy of the system, which includes the potential energy due to gravity and the kinetic energy of the hemi-sphere. By using the conservation of energy principle, the kinetic energy can be calculated by subtracting the potential energy from the total energy.