The energy released from antimatter annihilation -- New uses?

In summary, Dale tera ma ma aur tera gand me danda dale hum suggests that having access to antimatter could lead to solving the matter-antimatter asymmetry problem.
Vamsi9955
TL;DR Summary
The pure energy released from antimatter annihilation can there be any use of this clean energy for research purposes like the use of light in LIGWO for gravitational waves study can we use it efficiently like light in LIGWO I think we can and it could lead us to reveal mysteries of universe
The pure energy released from antimatter annihilation can there be any use of this clean energy for research purposes like the use of light in LIGWO for gravitational waves study can we use it efficiently like light in LIGWO I think we can and it could lead us to reveal mysteries of universe

Physics news on Phys.org
Vamsi9955 said:
I think we can and it could lead us to reveal mysteries of universe
Do you have any specific reasoning for this claim? I.e. any theoretical calculations that show some specific mystery of the universe as an outcome to the annihilation reaction? Since this is an "A" level thread (meaning post-graduate math and physics) you should be able to post your detailed mathematical derivation and cite your references clearly.

By the way, are you aware that this reaction is used routinely in medical imaging? So it is already quite well studied. What specific quantitative aspect of this reaction do you believe has any "mysteries of universe" type surprises remaining?

Last edited:
Likes nasu and berkeman
Vamsi9955 said:
this clean energy
What would be particularly "clean" about the energy, bearing in mind the large Energy requirement for generating tiny quantities of Antimatter? Regular Electricity out of the socket is only as clean as the Energy used for its generation.

Likes berkeman
There is nothing special about the radiation and other particles produced in matter-antimatter annihilation and it is much easier to produce via other methods. As there is no useful amount of antimatter in nature you have to produce the antimatter first, which takes much more energy than you get out from the annihilation.

There is an application for electron-positron annihilation: PET scans.

(it is called LIGO, by the way)

mfb said:
There is nothing special about the radiation and other particles produced in matter-antimatter annihilation and it is much easier to produce via other methods. As there is no useful amount of antimatter in nature you have to produce the antimatter first, which takes much more energy than you get out from the annihilation.

There is an application for electron-positron annihilation: PET scans.

(it is called LIGO, by the way)
Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory LIGWO & LIGO where W is not taken

Dale said:
Do you have any specific reasoning for this claim? I.e. any theoretical calculations that show some specific mystery of the universe as an outcome to the annihilation reaction? Since this is an "A" level thread (meaning post-graduate math and physics) you should be able to post your detailed mathematical derivation and cite your references clearly.

By the way, are you aware that this reaction is used routinely in medical imaging? So it is already quite well studied. What specific quantitative aspect of this reaction do you believe has any "mysteries of universe" type surprises remaining?
Thanks Sir Dale tera ma ma aur tera gand me danda dale hum

Dale said:

But what is this type of medical imaging called please tell me sir I you please tell me I will be very thankful to you and tera ma ma gand me danda Dale Hum

Potentially, having ready access to antimatter to experiment with could help solve the matter-antimatter asymmetry problem, possibly by examination of the particles that are created from annihilation, is that the type of thing you are asking, @Vamsi9955?

Apart from that, quantum interference in antimatter was recently demonstrated, which suggests that positrons at least behave in the same way as matter does in this regard. Having more antimatter to work with could extend this to other particles and perhaps identify mechanisms or situations where antimatter does not behave like matter.

Likes Vamsi9955
Yes and
Tghu Verd said:
Potentially, having ready access to antimatter to experiment with could help solve the matter-antimatter asymmetry problem, possibly by examination of the particles that are created from annihilation, is that the type of thing you are asking, @Vamsi9955?

Apart from that, quantum interference in antimatter was recently demonstrated, which suggests that positrons at least behave in the same way as matter does in this regard. Having more antimatter to work with could extend this to other particles and perhaps identify mechanisms or situations where antimatter does not behave like matter.
Yes and can we use the energy from the process and what are the particles produced from the process

I am taking about the energy from which the strings are formed(hypothetical strings of String Theory) and universe which is made out of from singularity at big bang

Vamsi9955 said:
Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory LIGWO & LIGO where W is not taken
It is LIGO. "LIGWO" simply doesn't exist.
Vamsi9955 said:
But what is this type of medical imaging called please tell me sir I you please tell me I will be very thankful to you and tera ma ma gand me danda Dale Hum
English please. The PET scans I mentioned in my post.
Vamsi9955 said:
Yes and can we use the energy from the process and what are the particles produced from the process
We can, it is just completely pointless. It is like spending $100,000,000 on a machine that prints a single 1 dollar bill and then destroys itself. The particles produced in matter-antimatter annihilations are mainly photons and pions.
Vamsi9955 said:
I am taking about the energy from which the strings are formed(hypothetical strings of String Theory) and universe which is made out of from singularity at big bang
This is just a meaningless collection of buzzwords.

mfb said:
This is just a meaningless
I read a thread in physicsforum site which made me think of the strings made out of pure energy and it is also stated that the universe is formed out of pure energy from bigbang explosion is it not true

mfb said:
No.
What do you mean by saying no

Vamsi9955 said:
What do you mean by saying no
It doesn't make sense and I fear it is too incoherent to go into details - because I don't see how you could get the impression this could work.

mfb said:
It doesn't make sense and I fear it is too incoherent to go into details - because I don't see how you could get the impression this could work.
Thanks sir for your suggestions

Vamsi9955 said:
strings made out of pure energy and it is also stated that the universe is formed out of pure energy
There is no such thing as pure energy. Energy is a property of a system. It never exists on its own, but is always necessarily associated with a physical system.

Likes nasu and Vamsi9955

1. What is antimatter and how is it different from regular matter?

Antimatter is a type of matter that has the same mass as regular matter, but with opposite charge. This means that when antimatter comes into contact with regular matter, they annihilate each other and release a large amount of energy.

2. How is energy released from antimatter annihilation?

When antimatter and regular matter come into contact, their opposite charges cause them to attract and combine, resulting in the complete conversion of their mass into energy. This energy is released in the form of gamma rays.

3. What are the potential uses of energy released from antimatter annihilation?

The energy released from antimatter annihilation is incredibly powerful and could potentially be used as a source of clean and efficient energy. It could also be used in space propulsion systems and in medical imaging and cancer treatment.

4. How is antimatter produced and stored?

Antimatter can be produced through high-energy collisions in particle accelerators or through radioactive decay. It is typically stored in magnetic fields to prevent it from coming into contact with regular matter and annihilating.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using antimatter as a source of energy?

While antimatter annihilation does release a large amount of energy, it is not currently a feasible source of energy due to the difficulty and cost of producing and storing antimatter. Additionally, strict safety protocols would need to be in place to prevent any accidental contact with regular matter, which could have catastrophic consequences.