1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Entanglement of Physics

1. Dec 3, 2006 #1

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I will make this very clear: READ THIS ARTICLE! READ THIS ARTICLE!

In fact, I strongly recommend you print this out, and give it to people who are not aware of physics, what it does, how it works, and how it permeates through their lives.

This article emphasized so many of the points that I have been trying to get across to many people (and even to crackpots).

1. It illustrates the interconnectedness of various branches of physics. You just simply cannot study quantum mechanics alone without understanding classical mechanics and E&M. In many physical phenomena, it crosses many boundaries of the field of study, such as the one mentioned in the article:

2. Many people who are physicists, work in areas and are given titles in which the physics and their physics background are obscure. This leads to people not being aware that physics is at work, and physicists are the ones doing the work.

There are many gems in this article. If you do not get Physics Today, then READ THIS ARTICLE!

Zz.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2006 #2
    Excellent article, thanks Zz. I just started working w/ a condensed matter theorist and one of his major research areas is BECs. These last few weeks I have learned just how rich this field is. Unfortunately, when I was a freshman (I'm a junior now) I subscribed to the Gell-Mann school that HEP was "real" physics and everything else was substandard. How wrong I was! I'm glad I've come to my senses, due in a large part to the informative posts of ZapperZ and others here at PF.

4. Dec 5, 2006 #3
    Thanks for that, Zz!

5. Dec 5, 2006 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I saved a soul!!! You just made my day!!

:biggrin:

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?