The Enthelpy of MgO(s) + 2HCl(aq)

• Thread starter Raza
  • Start date
In summary, the enthalpy of MgO(s) + 2HCl(aq) is a measure of the energy released when one mole of solid magnesium oxide reacts with two moles of hydrochloric acid in aqueous form. It can be calculated using Hess's Law and can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and concentration. Knowing the enthalpy is important for predicting energy changes in chemical reactions and relates to the concept of energy conservation.
Raza
Using Hess's Law in 2 Questions

Hi, can someone just check my work and see if I did something wrong?
The answers seems strange.
Clipboard02.jpg

Clipboard01.jpg

And someone tell me where I can get the enthalpy values of molecules?

Thanks. :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please, can someone answer me?

Looks good, but your second answer should have one more significant figure. Try looking for a table or appendix somewhere in your book to find the standard enthalpies of certain substances. Or you could check out this link:

http://www.psigate.ac.uk/newsite/reference/chemdata/3.html

Thank you very much, Ksinclair!

1. What is the Enthalpy of MgO(s) + 2HCl(aq)?

The enthalpy of a reaction is a measure of the energy released or absorbed during a chemical reaction. In the case of MgO(s) + 2HCl(aq), the enthalpy refers to the amount of energy released when one mole of solid magnesium oxide reacts with two moles of hydrochloric acid in aqueous form.

2. How is the Enthalpy of MgO(s) + 2HCl(aq) calculated?

The enthalpy of a reaction can be calculated using Hess's Law, which states that the total enthalpy change of a reaction is independent of the route taken. This means that the enthalpy of MgO(s) + 2HCl(aq) can be calculated by determining the enthalpy changes of the individual reactions that make up this overall reaction.

3. What factors affect the Enthalpy of MgO(s) + 2HCl(aq)?

The enthalpy of a reaction can be affected by several factors, including the temperature, pressure, and concentration of the reactants and products. Changes in these factors can result in a change in the enthalpy of the reaction.

4. Why is it important to know the Enthalpy of MgO(s) + 2HCl(aq)?

Knowing the enthalpy of a reaction is important because it allows us to predict the amount of energy released or absorbed during a chemical reaction. This information is useful in various industries, such as the production of materials and fuels, as well as in understanding the behavior of substances in different conditions.

5. How does the Enthalpy of MgO(s) + 2HCl(aq) relate to the concept of energy conservation?

The concept of energy conservation states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. In the case of MgO(s) + 2HCl(aq), the enthalpy represents the energy released or absorbed during the reaction, but the total amount of energy in the system remains constant. This demonstrates the application of energy conservation in chemical reactions.