Understanding the Equations of Motion for the Dirac Lagrangian

In summary, the Dirac Lagrangian has an equation of motion that is either the Dirac equation or a [overline]Ψ[\overline] version of the Dirac equation. The first two equations of motion say that ∂L/∂[overline]Ψ[\overline]=-[overline]Ψ[\overline]m and ∂L/∂Ψ=i[overline]Ψ[\overline]γμ.
JohnH
TL;DR Summary
Looking for a proof of
∂(∂L/∂[overline]Ψ[\overline])=0
and
∂L/∂Ψ=-[overline]Ψ[\overline]m
and
∂L/∂(∂[SUB]μ[/SUB]Ψ)=i[overline]Ψ[\overline]γ[SUP]μ[/SUP]
I'm having trouble following a proof of what happens when the Dirac Lagrangian is put into the Euler-Lagrange equation. This is the youtube video: and you can skip to 2:56 and pause to see all the math laid out. I understand the bird's eye results of the Dirac Lagrangian having an equation of motion that is either the Dirac equation or a [overline]Ψ[\overline] version of the Dirac equation, but I'm unclear about why, when putting the Dirac Lagrangian into the Euler-Lagrange equation, the following pieces are:

∂(∂L/∂[overline]Ψ[\overline])=0
and
∂L/∂Ψ=-[overline]Ψ[\overline]m
and
∂L/∂(∂μΨ)=i[overline]Ψ[\overline]γμ

Thanks for all replies.

Physics news on Phys.org
You get it by direct computation. The equations of motion for a field ##\psi## described by some Lagrangian ##\mathcal{L}## are the Euler-Lagrange equations $$\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial\psi} - \frac{\partial}{\partial x^\mu}\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_\mu\psi)}=0 \rm{.}$$ In units of ##\hbar=c=1##, the Dirac Lagrangian can be written as $$\mathcal{L} = \bar{\psi}\left(\mathrm{i}\gamma^\mu\partial_\mu - m\right)\psi = \bar{\psi}\mathrm{i}\gamma^\mu\partial_\mu\psi - m\bar{\psi}\psi \rm{.}$$ Now, you can plug this Lagrangian into the equations of motion above in which you differentiate with respect to ##\psi## - in this way you will obtain the equations of motion for the field ##\bar{\psi}##. Alternatively, you can differentiate with respect to ##\bar{\psi}## in the Euler-Lagrange equations, thereby obtaining the standard Dirac equation (i.e., the equations of motion for the field ##\psi##).

Observe that in the Lagrangian there is no term of the form ##\partial_\mu\bar{\psi}##, hence you get $$\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_\mu\bar{\psi})}=0 \rm{,}$$ which shows you that ##\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial\bar{\psi}}=0## - this is one of the things you asked about. You can work out the rest of the identities from your Question yourself in the same manner.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the Dirac Lagrangian?

The Dirac Lagrangian is a mathematical equation used in quantum field theory to describe the dynamics of fermions, which are particles that have half-integer spin. It was developed by physicist Paul Dirac in the 1920s and is a fundamental equation in the Standard Model of particle physics.

2. What is the significance of understanding the equations of motion for the Dirac Lagrangian?

Understanding the equations of motion for the Dirac Lagrangian is crucial for understanding the behavior of fermions in quantum field theory. It allows us to make predictions about the behavior of particles and their interactions, and has been instrumental in the development of modern particle physics theories.

3. How is the Dirac Lagrangian different from other Lagrangians?

The Dirac Lagrangian is unique in that it describes the behavior of fermions, whereas other Lagrangians typically describe the behavior of bosons. Additionally, the Dirac Lagrangian includes terms that account for the spin of the particles, which is not present in other Lagrangians.

4. What are the equations of motion for the Dirac Lagrangian?

The equations of motion for the Dirac Lagrangian are a set of four coupled partial differential equations, known as the Dirac equation. These equations describe the dynamics of fermions in terms of their position, momentum, and spin.

5. How is the Dirac Lagrangian used in practical applications?

The Dirac Lagrangian is used in a variety of practical applications, including particle physics experiments and theoretical calculations. It has been used to predict the existence of new particles, such as the Higgs boson, and to describe the behavior of particles in high energy collisions. It is also used in the development of technologies such as quantum computing and medical imaging.