The epsilon-delta definition

• Thread starter PFuser1232
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Definition
In summary: R} : x \mapsto 1.Then \lim_{x \to 0} f(x) = 1 since for any \epsilon > 0, if 0 < |x| < 1 then |f(x) - 1| = |1 - 1| = 0 < \epsilon.Why aren't we restricting |f(x) - L| to be nonzero?The point is that the function value at a does not affect the limit. The limit relates to points close to a, but not a itself.
PFuser1232
I'm trying to wrap my head around the epsilon-delta definition.
"Let ##f## be a function defined on an interval that contains ##a##, except possibly at ##a##. We say that:
$$\lim_{x →a} f(x) = L$$
If for every number ##\epsilon > 0## there is some number ##\delta > 0## such that:
##|f(x) - L| < \epsilon## whenever ##0 < |x - a| < \delta##"
Why aren't we restricting ##|f(x) - L|## to be nonzero?

Likes Ahmad Kishki
Physics news on Phys.org
MohammedRady97 said:
I'm trying to wrap my head around the epsilon-delta definition.
"Let ##f## be a function defined on an interval that contains ##a##, except possibly at ##a##. We say that:
$$\lim_{x →a} f(x) = L$$
If for every number ##\epsilon > 0## there is some number ##\delta > 0## such that:
##|f(x) - L| < \epsilon## whenever ##0 < |x - a| < \delta##"

[itex]|x - a|[/itex] must be bounded away from zero because the concept of a limit deals with what happens to [itex]f[/itex] near to, but not at, [itex]a[/itex]. It might happen that [itex]f(x) = L[/itex] for values of [itex]x[/itex] near to, but not at, [itex]a[/itex]; this is not a problem.

For example, consider [itex]f: (-1, 0) \cup (0,1) \to \mathbb{R} : x \mapsto 1[/itex]. Then [tex]\lim_{x \to 0} f(x) = 1[/tex] since for any [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex], if [itex]0 < |x| < 1[/itex] then [itex]|f(x) - 1| = |1 - 1| = 0 < \epsilon[/itex].

Likes PFuser1232
MohammedRady97 said:

For example, if [itex] f(x) [/itex] is the constant function [itex] f(x) = 2 [/itex] whose graph is a horizontal line, we want [itex] \lim_{x \rightarrow 3 } f(x) [/itex] to exist and be equal to [itex] 2 [/itex].

Likes PFuser1232
MohammedRady97 said:
Why aren't we restricting |f(x)−L||f(x) - L| to be nonzero?
Why should we? If |f(x)-L| = 0, it is obviously less than ε.

Svein said:
Why should we? If |f(x)-L| = 0, it is obviously less than ε.

So while ##|x - a|## must be nonzero, ##|f(x) - L|## could be zero?

MohammedRady97 said:
So while ##|x - a|## must be nonzero, ##|f(x) - L|## could be zero?

The point is that the function value at a does not affect the limit. The limit relates to points close to a, but not a itself.

But there's no reason the function value can't be equal to the limit.

Take for example ##\lim_{x→1} 2x + 3 = 5##.
We want to prove that for every ##\epsilon > 0## there is some ##\delta > 0## such that:
##|(2x + 3) - 5| < \epsilon## whenever ##0 < |x - 1| < \delta##
This seems to be the general approach taken in most texts/websites:
##|2x - 2| = 2|x - 1| < \epsilon## implying that ##|x - 1| < \frac{\epsilon}{2}## which "looks a lot like" ##|x - 1| < \delta##, so we set ##\delta## equal to ##\frac{\epsilon}{2}##.
Next, we plug in ##\delta = \frac{\epsilon}{2}## into the inequality ##0 < |x - 1| < \delta## and multiply throughout by 2. We end up with ##0 < |2x - 1| < \epsilon## which, again, "looks a lot like" the first inequality, which confirms the fact that our guess was right.
Isn't that last step redundant? Haven't we already established that ##\epsilon = 2 \delta## by manipulating the first inequality? Isn't this just doing the same exact thing, except this time it's the other way around?
Also, while the inequalities look the same, there's still a slight difference. We end up with ##0 < |f(x) - L| < \epsilon##. Doesn't this contradict ##|f(x) - L| < \epsilon## (to some extent) since the latter places no restriction on ##|f(x) - L|## being zero?
And finally, is there another way to look at it other than "this inequality looks an awful lot like the other inequality, therefore ##\delta = \frac{\epsilon}{2}##"? I can't see why ##\delta## and ##\frac{\epsilon}{2}## can't be different despite both being larger than ##|x - 1|##.

Last edited:
MohammedRady97 said:
Also, while the inequalities look the same, there's still a slight difference. We end up with 0<|f(x)−L|<ϵ0 < |f(x) - L| < \epsilon. Doesn't this contradict |f(x)−L|<ϵ|f(x) - L| < \epsilon (to some extent) since the latter places no restriction on |f(x)−L||f(x) - L| being zero?

I just want to address this one point. I ask you to find a number ##x##, such that ##|x| < 1##. You suggest ##x = 0.5##. I then say "no". That ##x## satisfies:

##0 < |x| < 1## and, therefore, doesn't satisfy ##|x| < 1##

Note that:

##0 < |f(x) - L| < \epsilon \ \ \Rightarrow \ \ |f(x) - L| < \epsilon##

So, there is no contradiction there.

This might help. Rewrite the definition of limit (equivalently) as follows:

##\forall \ \epsilon > 0, \ \exists \ \delta > 0## such that ## |x-a| < \delta## and ##x \ne a \ \Rightarrow \ |f(x) - L| < \epsilon##

Does that clarify things at all?

All we are doing in both cases is excluding the point ##a## from consideration.

Last edited:
MohammedRady97 said:
Take for example limx→12x+3=5\lim_{x→1} 2x + 3 = 5.
No. We do not take the limit of an equation. We take the limit of a function. So, if you want an example, take [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 1}2x+3 [/itex]. First, choose ε: Choose ε=0.1. Then either start calculating or make a guess: Let δ=0.01 and see what happens. On one side: 2*1.001 + 3 = 5.002. On the other side: 2*0.999 + 3 = 4.998. From these two results, we assume that the limit is 5, since |5.002-5| = 0.002 which is less than ε and |5-4.998| = 0.002 which is also less than ε. Now you can either create a formula for δ or you can choose a series of ε's and continue guessing δ's until you have a good idea of how to choose them.

Now, this may seem obvious, but let me give you another example: Let y = floor(x) (the integer part of x). This function is continuous at all points except when x is an integer (and there it is "continuous from above").

PeroK said:
I just want to address this one point. I ask you to find a number ##x##, such that ##|x| < 1##. You suggest ##x = 0.5##. I then say "no". That ##x## satisfies:
##0 < |x| < 1## and, therefore, doesn't satisfy ##|x| < 1##
Surely this is not what you meant to say!? 1/2 satisfies both ##0< |x|< 1## and ##|x|< 1##.
Indeed, any number that satisfies ##0< |x|< 1## must also satisfy ##|x|< 1## because ##0< |x|< 1## requires that x satisfy both ## 0< |x|## and ##|x|< 1##.

Note that:
##0 < |f(x) - L| < \epsilon \ \ \Rightarrow \ \ |f(x) - L| < \epsilon##

So, there is no contradiction there.

What is the epsilon-delta definition?

The epsilon-delta definition is a mathematical concept used to rigorously define the limit of a function. It states that a limit exists at a given point if, for any positive value of epsilon, there exists a corresponding positive value of delta such that the distance between the input values and the limit is less than epsilon whenever the distance between the input values and the point is less than delta.

Why is the epsilon-delta definition important?

The epsilon-delta definition is important because it provides a rigorous and precise way of determining the limit of a function. It allows us to prove that a limit exists and to evaluate it accurately, even for functions that are not continuous or differentiable.

How is the epsilon-delta definition used?

The epsilon-delta definition is used in calculus and analysis to prove the existence and value of limits. It is also used to define continuity and differentiability of functions.

What are some common misconceptions about the epsilon-delta definition?

One common misconception is that the epsilon-delta definition only applies to functions with a single input variable. However, it can also be used for functions with multiple input variables. Another misconception is that the values of epsilon and delta have to be infinitesimally small, when in reality they can be any positive value.

How can I improve my understanding of the epsilon-delta definition?

To improve your understanding of the epsilon-delta definition, it is important to practice using it to evaluate limits and prove theorems. It may also be helpful to study examples and work through proofs to gain a deeper understanding of the concept. Additionally, seeking out additional resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials, can provide further clarification and practice problems.