1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The equation of motion is given by s=sin2πt (m) . Find the acceleration after 4.5 sec

1. Jun 7, 2011 #1
    1. The equation of motion is given by s=sin2πt (m) . Find the acceleration after 4.5 seconds

3. The attempt at a solution

Im getting confused on whether the above equation is for velocity or distance.
    I know the derivative of distance is velocity and that the derivative of velocity is acceleration.
    If i take the derivative of the above equation i end up with
    Sa=cos 2π

This eliminates T , So im not sure what im doing wrong.

Thanks in advance for help.
    Cheers

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: The equation of motion is given by s=sin2πt (m) . Find the acceleration after 4.5

Yes, s is distance. But the derivative d/dt sin(2*pi*t) definitely isn't cos(2*pi). Use the chain rule. What's the derivative of sin(t)? Does the t disappear?

4. Jun 7, 2011 #3
    Re: The equation of motion is given by s=sin2πt (m) . Find the acceleration after 4.5

Ok would i be correct in saying the derivative of
    S=sin2πt is Sv=2π cos 2πt ?

5. Jun 7, 2011 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, you would.

6. Jun 7, 2011 #5

So to get the derivative of Sv=2π cos 2πt to find acceleration . Would i just use the chain rule again?

If so does this look correct ?
    Sa=2π^2 sin 2πt?

thanks

7. Jun 7, 2011 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure, use the chain rule again. But try to do it right. The derivative of cos(t) isn't sin(t), it's -sin(t). And the number in front of the sin(2*pi*t) isn't 2pi^2. Take another try.

8. Jun 8, 2011 #7

ok i still cant seem to get the correct answer. with this equation Sv=2π cos 2πt
    Im taking "2π cos " to be the outer function & 2πt to be the inner function

so the derivative of "2π cos" would be just "-sin"
    And the derivative of "2πt" would be "2π"

When i put it together i end up with is "-sin 2πt * 2π" or " Sa=-2π sin 2πt

Can you please let me know where im going wrong. Thanks

9. Jun 8, 2011 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(d/dt)[2*pi*cos(2*pi*t)] = (2*pi)*(d/dt) cos(2*pi*t). You really do have to be more careful!

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?