The error bars of redshift drift

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the paper "Cosmic dynamics in the era of Extremely Large Telescopes" by Liske et al. discusses the physical meaning of redshift drift and the uncertainties involved in its measurement. The error bars in equation (15) refer to the uncertainties in the measured redshift drift, while the red solid line in figure 7 represents the expected redshift drift signal for a given signal-to-noise ratio and number of measurements. It is possible to get different results while plotting the function due to specific values used and any errors or uncertainties in the measurements.
shadishacker
Dear all,

I am reading the paper "Cosmic dynamics in the era of Extremely Large Telescopes " by Liske et al. about redshift.
I get the physical meaning of redshift drift, but when it comes to the error bars, I am confused.
- Aren't the error bars given in equation (15) ?
- Isn't this function plotted in figure 7 with S/N=13000 and N=10 ? (the red solid line??)
- If so, then why am I getting something different while plotting it? Is there something I am missing?

upload_2017-7-25_14-57-45.png

Space news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question about the paper "Cosmic dynamics in the era of Extremely Large Telescopes" by Liske et al. regarding redshift. To answer your questions:

1. The error bars in equation (15) refer to the uncertainties in the measured redshift drift, which is the change in redshift over time. These uncertainties can arise from various sources such as instrumental noise, calibration errors, and other systematic effects.

2. Yes, the function plotted in figure 7 with S/N=13000 and N=10 is the red solid line. This line represents the expected redshift drift signal for a given signal-to-noise ratio (S/N) and number of measurements (N).

3. It is possible that you are getting a different result while plotting the function because of the specific values you are using for S/N and N. Please make sure that you are using the correct values and following the same methodology as described in the paper. It is also important to note that the redshift drift signal is a small effect and can be easily affected by any errors or uncertainties in the measurements.

I hope this helps clarify your confusion. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Best of luck with your research.

1) What are error bars in the context of redshift drift?

Error bars in the context of redshift drift refer to the range of possible values for the redshift drift measurement. They indicate the uncertainty or margin of error in the measurement and are usually represented as vertical lines on a graph.

2) Why is it important to consider error bars in redshift drift measurements?

Considering error bars is important because they provide a more accurate representation of the measurement. Redshift drift is a small effect and can be easily influenced by various factors, so having a range of possible values helps to account for these uncertainties and potential errors.

3) How are error bars calculated for redshift drift measurements?

Error bars for redshift drift measurements are typically calculated using statistical methods such as standard deviation or standard error. These calculations take into account the variability of the data points and provide a range of values that are likely to encompass the true measurement.

4) Can error bars be used to compare redshift drift measurements from different sources?

Yes, error bars can be used for comparison as they provide a measure of uncertainty for the measurement. However, it is important to consider the methodology and potential sources of error for each measurement when making comparisons.

5) How do error bars affect the interpretation of redshift drift data?

The presence of error bars can affect the interpretation of redshift drift data by providing a more accurate understanding of the measurement. They also allow for better comparison between different measurements and can indicate the significance of any observed changes in redshift drift over time.