The Expanding Universe: Why Stretching is the Only Explanation

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the universe constantly stretching and objects staying intact, as explained in a physics textbook. The question is raised whether this could be explained by everything getting smaller and falling in on itself. However, this theory is refuted as it does not account for the bending of light and has been disproven by scientific evidence. The concept of the universe expanding and accelerating is supported by NASA's recent findings.
Tim.thelion
I recently read in my "10th grade" physics textbook that the universes is constantly streaching making solarsystems farther apart, yet for some weird reason all objects still stay intact. This explination included ireverence for such fundimental concepts as the cartisian coordinate system. I was wondering, is there any reason why space has to streach, could it not be true, instead, that everything was getting smaller, everything constantly falling in on itself? This would make the explination make more sence, the only thing that my modle does not account for that I know of, is that my physics textbook used the streaching model to explain the bending of light.

Can someone with some knowledge of this tell me what an idiot I am and how I simply need to ignore the normal rules of reality in order to understand this level of physics?

Space news on Phys.org
Tim.thelion said:
I recently read in my "10th grade" physics textbook that the universes is constantly streaching making solarsystems farther apart, yet for some weird reason all objects still stay intact. This explination included ireverence for such fundimental concepts as the cartisian coordinate system. I was wondering, is there any reason why space has to streach, could it not be true, instead, that everything was getting smaller, everything constantly falling in on itself? This would make the explination make more sence, the only thing that my modle does not account for that I know of, is that my physics textbook used the streaching model to explain the bending of light.

Can someone with some knowledge of this tell me what an idiot I am and how I simply need to ignore the normal rules of reality in order to understand this level of physics?

No, your model wouldn't work. It isn't just that things are appearing smaller and we mistake that for moving away. The actual speed they are "moving away" is detectable with the Doppler Effect (google that), a shift of the light coming to us from the remote galaxies. Lots of people have tried to work out alternatives to the stretching, such as "tired light", but all these efforts have turned out to have wrong consequences, and the expanding universe, after 75 years of this, remains the last theory standing. Stretching is happening and is even acclerating! NASA just held a press conference yesterday to announce that work on the Hubble Space Telescope had now shown that the acceleration of the stretching has been going on since very early stages of the universe.

1. What is the "ever expanding universe"?

The ever expanding universe refers to the idea that the universe is constantly growing and expanding in all directions. This concept was first proposed by astronomer Edwin Hubble in the 1920s based on his observations of distant galaxies moving away from each other.

2. What evidence do we have for the expansion of the universe?

There are several pieces of evidence that support the idea of an expanding universe. One of the most compelling is the observation that galaxies farther away from us appear to be moving away at faster speeds, which indicates that the universe is expanding. Another key piece of evidence is the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is leftover heat from the Big Bang and is consistent with an expanding universe.

3. How does the expansion of the universe affect the objects within it?

The expansion of the universe does not directly affect objects within it, as the expansion is happening on a large scale. However, the increased distance between objects due to expansion can affect the way we observe them. For example, the light from distant galaxies appears to be shifted towards the red end of the spectrum, known as redshift, due to the expansion of space.

4. Will the universe keep expanding forever?

Based on current observations and scientific theories, it is believed that the universe will continue to expand indefinitely. However, the rate of expansion may change over time due to factors like dark energy and the gravitational pull of matter. The ultimate fate of the universe is still a topic of ongoing research and debate among scientists.

5. What are some potential implications of an expanding universe?

The expansion of the universe has several potential implications, such as the eventual cooling and darkening of the universe, the increasing distance between galaxies, and the possibility of other universes existing beyond our observable universe. The concept of an expanding universe also plays a crucial role in our understanding of the origins and evolution of the universe.