Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Evo Child trapped in PA snowstorm

1. Jan 22, 2005 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I just got off the phone with my daughter. She left Rome, Italy this morning and was due to arrive in Philadelphia at 2:32pm, change planes and leave Philadelphia at 4:45pm.

They got about a foot of snow in Philly and their flight out was canceled. They are "tentatively" scheduled on a flight tomorrow night at 8pm, but due to the weather forecast it may also be canceled.

The step father of one of the other girls she's traveling with has a friend that lives near Philly and they agreed to let the girls come stay with them. The concierge at the airport Marriott Hotel managed to find a decent cab driver that was willing to make the 30 mile drive and not overcharge them. It was a 2 hour, 30 mile drive and it cost $150. :bugeye:

Good news is that they are safe, but I've been worried. :cry:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2005 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I take it the trains aren't running either? You can get anywhere from the Philly airport by train much cheaper than that! :bugeye:

Hey, at least she didn't take the cab to Atlantic City, it might have cost a lot more than $150! Though that sure would be a more fun location to be stranded. :biggrin: Cabs are pretty well regulated though, and any with a permit to run to the airport should charge the same rate. Though, honestly, with the storm they're getting out there, the cab driver deserves the money to drive that distance in those road conditions.

As long as she's safe, that's what matters most.

4. Jan 22, 2005 #3

Evo

I only got to talk to her briefly, so I don't know what the story was, but apparantly the first cab driver was trying to rip them off due to the storm and the concierge noticed and got them another cab.

The person they're staying with is hosting a sleepover for his daughter and half a dozen other girls tonight and was unable to go get them, which is why the cab ride.

This is a good reason to have another international hub in a warmer climate. I think the closest is Atlanta and it's a nightmare.

5. Jan 22, 2005 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm glad she's OK, Evo. Hope she'll be home soon. Rome, huh? That sounds like fun!

6. Jan 23, 2005 #5

Evo

I hope she gets home soon too, but I don't want her traveling in more bad weather.

She stayed in Florence 4 days and Rome 4 days, she had a great time. Hopefully I will be able to post some pictures. Wish I could have gone.

7. Jan 23, 2005 #6
    Imagine, coming from beautifull, warm Tuscany back to this freezing waste land :bugeye: horror !
    She must be depressed big time.

8. Jan 23, 2005 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm sure if she was stranded in the Philly area with no place to go, we could have called upon Russ Watters to come to her rescue, though he might have tried to convert her to being a Republican. :bugeye: :biggrin:

9. Jan 23, 2005 #8
    I'm sure for this cute,half of PF members would show up to pick her up. :rofl:

10. Jan 23, 2005 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm glad she's okay. This is a dangerous storm to be sure.

11. Jan 23, 2005 #10

Evo

That's what worries me, although I'd trust Russ.

I guess if he drove 2 hours in the snow to get her, she'd be required to become Republican. :biggrin:

12. Jan 23, 2005 #11

Tsu

Gold Member

Glad she's safe :smile: and didn't have to become a Republican. :rofl:

13. Jan 23, 2005 #12

Evo

The governor of PA had declared a state of emergency and banned all non essential traffic. They should have not risked the drive, I was worried sick.

Thank you all for sharing my concern. It's so nice to have such good friends. :approve:

14. Jan 23, 2005 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are worse things than becoming Republican...like letting one of the younger guys who have trouble rolling their tongues back into their mouths every time they see her picture pick her up! :biggrin:

15. Jan 23, 2005 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're right about that! That's probably why the first cabbie was trying to overcharge knowing the road conditions. At least she's somewhere safe now.

Well, Gokul and I can both sympathize about being stuck in airports due to snow! Hopefully her game of flight roulette won't be as exciting as mine was.

16. Jan 23, 2005 #15
    Why you daughter did not stay in airport hotel ? sometimes you just have to spend money on hotels. I would not go outside in this weather, what if cab broke down ? I saw many cars today in the ditches etc.

17. Jan 23, 2005 #16
    Evo,

I am happy for you that your daughter is safe. Tell all you snow bunnies this - move to TEXAS! Then again, it hits hot here in the summers, and you roast your tush off. I am originally from the boarding area of Canada and Michigan, and when I left in 1979, (I was moving to Texas) I still remember the wind chill factor was 30 zero. But, I still miss the SNOW! ~Werdas~

18. Jan 23, 2005 #17

Astronuc

I have to go out in this storm. Got to go west.

It seems to be clearing up here near NYC.

I imagine if the airport is closed, all the nearby hotels are full.

I hope Evo child is safe and sound, and gets home soon, safe and sound.

Got to go shovel a foot of snow - or I'm not going anywhere.

19. Jan 23, 2005 #18

Evo

That's what I asked her father who told her to take a cab to this person's house. He didn't think about getting her a hotel room even though he knew her flight out of Philladelphia was canceled even before she left Rome. (he "forgot" to tell me this, I would have booked a room for them). Now they have to worry about trying to drive back to the airport and with the high winds, they expect the blowing snow to create near blizard like conditions there. The Marriott is at the airport and a room may have been available that far in advance. :grumpy:

20. Jan 23, 2005 #19

Tsu

Gold Member

Not MANY!!!111 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: (Jus' kidding, Moonbear. Put the gun down. :rofl:)

21. Jan 23, 2005 #20
    I hope everything goes well for your child EVO, keep us updated as events transpire.

BTW, Orlando is an International hub with all of the fixins. Just think, she could be sitting by the pool getting a tan right now at one of the gazillion hotels in the area. Presently it's a balmy 51F/11C, not quite tanning temps for the locals but you yanks have a little more tolerance on that end of the thermostat!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?