What is the Sarcos Exoskeleton and How Can It Revolutionize Protection?

In summary: I digress. The boots are surprisingly grippy. Since they're race spec the sole is designed to grip even with oils present. You don't want to fall over before you get to your bike. If you encounter some ice or snow then the cleats might be handy....but I digress.
turbo-1 said:
Evo claims to have cooked for years, so she ought be able to deal with sharp pointy things on some level. If she still has the requisite number of fingers, we must admit to SOME level of competence (or luck).

Well i would prefere she uses manipulators.

Physics news on Phys.org
binzing said:
Yeah, they're pretty cool,(and soft so you can't get hurt ;) ), plus if she ever did go outside it'd be FUN! Oh, and they float so things like rivers, lakes, ponds, even frozen bodies of water are a POC (piece of cake)

Now, that sounds like just the thing!

I think we just need to find a way to mount a wireless keyboard inside, because we wouldn't want her to have to stick her hands out to type lest the same fate befall her as we were all threatened would happen if we stuck our hands out the car window as kids.

I already suggested that we just put the comp in with her.

Moonbear said:
Oh, there's probably someone out there into that...there's someone into pretty much anything you can imagine (and some things you wish you hadn't imagined).

I'll never again look at a shoe salesman without laughing. But I digress...

<<But, we might run into the trouble of her not being able to run out of the way of the boulder that suddenly falls from nowhere if her mobility is reduced...>>

http://www.camileonheels.com/

Some sort of in-house force field with variable settings that allow her function, but nothing sharp, heavy or insect-like can invade it.

A re-enforced Zorb would allow her access to the outside world. If we could figure out how to stabilize it and add an engine/navigation/tracking device it could protect her during travel. She'd be able to go cross country and stay off the highway.

I like the bubble wrap, too. When she gets antsy she could work off the frustration. "pop-pop-pop-pop".

Far Star said:
When she gets antsy she could work off the frustration. "pop-pop-pop-pop".
For some reason, I just got the most disturbing image of the Rice Krispie pixies as strippers... :yuck:

But the Rice Krispixies are male, aren't they. Snap, Crackle, and Pop I think.

binzing said:
But the Rice Krispixies are male, aren't they. Snap, Crackle, and Pop I think.

All the more disturbing. High-heeled stripper elves carrying Evo off in her bubble.

Yep, back on track before the dwarfs show up.

Last edited:
Are feeling any better today, Evo?

Reading all of the caring, loving suggestions here are cheering me up. Unfortunately, I think this is one time the problem isn't just going to go away. I hate taking pain pills, but I'm breaking down and taking at least one a day just so I can move around a bit for minimum survival like food.

Evo said:
Reading all of the caring, loving suggestions here are cheering me up. Unfortunately, I think this is one time the problem isn't just going to go away. I hate taking pain pills, but I'm breaking down and taking at least one a day just so I can move around a bit for minimum survival like food.

And have you seen the doctor yet? You're good at making sure everyone else here sees a doctor when they need one, and now it's time for you to see one and are being stubborn about it, aren't you? The longer you wait, the more likely it is the damage will be permanent. Do you want to be in this sort of pain the rest of your life? Or worse, lose all sensation to your fingers? If you think you have an uncanny attraction for klutzy accidents now, wait until you can't feel your fingers...get to a doctor!

Moonbear said:
And have you seen the doctor yet? You're good at making sure everyone else here sees a doctor when they need one, and now it's time for you to see one and are being stubborn about it, aren't you? The longer you wait, the more likely it is the damage will be permanent. Do you want to be in this sort of pain the rest of your life? Or worse, lose all sensation to your fingers? If you think you have an uncanny attraction for klutzy accidents now, wait until you can't feel your fingers...get to a doctor!
I went to the doctor Friday, I thought he'd at least x-ray my back and shoulder, but he says I need to go back to the orthopedic surgeon. Also my health insurance provider changed yesterday and I need my new insurance card. I'm hoping to get into see him early next week.

And you're right, I hate going to doctors. :redface:

Last edited:
Moonbear said:

ditto, Evo-----and yeah, taking good suggestions (MB's) is supposed to be a sign of intelligence

--------

if you're in that much pain, maybe see another one then if you can get in before that

Last edited:
And while doing that, perhaps also mention the Helicobacter blood test

How about a Troy hurtebese bear suit.

Troy seems to be a bit of a nut, However his suits seem to work Evo.

Last edited by a moderator:
May I suggest the liquid-like shell around Jodie Foster in a galaxy far, far away?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard chocolate and cayenne pepper are good for some pain relief.

(hot 'HOT' chocolate)

Moonbear said:
Yep, Evo is definitely in doctor-avoidance mode, and that's not good.

During an exam last spring, I mentioned to my doctor that I was experiencing some numbness/tingling in my fingers, particularly in the little fingers and ring fingers. He rubbed the sides of my ring fingers and asked if one side was more tingly/numb than the other. It seems that the ulnar nerve serves the whole little finger, but only the anterior side of the ring finger. He asked if I sat in a chair with arm rests, and I told him that my office chair has them. He told me to remove the arm rests so that I couldn't rest my forearms on them and that due to the time it takes for those nerves to regenerate/recover function, it would take a few months for the situation to resolve. He was right. If you've got a good doctor, he/she can resolve stuff without resorting to therapies, drugs, etc.

Evo--do you sit at the computer more than one hour per day?-----turbo may be on to the reason for the 'tingling' feeling

rewebster said:
Evo--do you sit at the computer more than one hour per day?-----turbo may be on to the reason for the 'tingling' feeling
I've had carpal tunnel syndrome before, but it was fixed by lowering my key board.

This I can feel it in my elbow, I felt there was a break or problem in my shoulder but the doctors never checked. Now it has gotten to the point that it's excrutiating.

Evo said:
I went to the doctor Friday, I thought he'd at least x-ray my back and shoulder, but he says I need to go back to the orthopedic surgeon. Also my health insurance provider changed yesterday and I need my new insurance card. I'm hoping to get into see him early next week.

And you're right, I hate going to doctors. :redface:

Excuses, excuses, may be next time you go you might see a doctor you fancy then later marry him grrrrr.

wolram said:
Excuses, excuses, may be next time you go you might see a doctor you fancy then later marry him grrrrr.

Would you marry someone that had already probed you with a wooden spatula?

Evo said:
I've had carpal tunnel syndrome before, but it was fixed by lowering my key board.

This I can feel it in my elbow, I felt there was a break or problem in my shoulder but the doctors never checked. Now it has gotten to the point that it's excrutiating.

You haven't been posting a whole lot---are you still hurting?

any news?

Kurdt said:

Yes.
And i am missing chicken legs too, i so hope you are OK tich.

Last edited:
Kurdt said:

Well, if that's what the guys are calling it nowadays, I think it's mandatory. :uhh: :blushing:

Yep, waiting for an update Evo. Which fingers are numb and tingling in addition to the pain in your shoulder? The med students will be learning the upper limb the next two weeks, so I can use your symptoms as an example when grilling them as I walk around the lab. :biggrin:

On Monday, I'll be using my nutty brother-in-law as an example...he managed to break the spine off one of his vertebrae while weight lifting (or actually, while resting the bar on his back/shoulders)...he's lucky that's all that snapped. The doctors in the ER first thought he just pulled a muscle, but he insisted they do x-rays because it didn't feel the same as muscle pulls he's had before...all he could describe is that it felt "weird" in addition to the pain. They had never seen someone do that while weight lifting before, usually it's lower back injuries, and soft-tissue not broken bones. I'm calling it a dork injury. But, it's a good example to get the students thinking. He was complaining about a weird feeling in his index finger while I was visiting, and that's consistent with the location of his injury. So, it's a good example to get the med students thinking about relationships between cervical spinal nerves and changes in sensory function far from the site of injury.