Am I Moving On or Just Stuck in My EX's Shadow?

• Thread starter Gale
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Love
In summary, Gale is trying to move on from her broken relationship. She's feeling lost and lonely and thinks that dating more will help her feel better. However, she's worried that her boyfriend might not be a good match for her because she's still talking to her ex and thinking about him a lot.
Gale
everyone comes on here and complains about there girl problems, so i want to complain about my boy issues...

I broke up with my fiance a while ago. Weird circumstances, its for the best, but it killed me... he'd found another girl...
so i had just met this guy, and he and i became friends, and then we started like, dating i guess... i dunno... i wasn't ready for a relationship at all. and I'm still not... and I've told him this...
i'm so weak, i can't stop trying to talk to my EX. i feel awful. i always have to ask him about things. i ask about this new girl. i tell him how upset i am. i tell him about my new guy, and how confused i am. i tell him how i look at our old photos... i ask if he does. i ask if he remembers that time... or what he did with the poster i made him. or the videos i created. tell him i hate him for doing this to me, tell him it was best that we broke up... ugh... I'm horrible. Everyone says i just shouldn't talk to him. but i dunno... I'm not that way... i dunno...

i feel horrible for this guy I'm semi-dating... he's super nice, and i do like him a lot. but how do i know if he's a rebound guy? or something more? or nothing?

my EX has such a nice family... i miss that most. it is best we broke up, but its things like his family that i miss. and i miss having someone to take goofy pictures for. and i miss phone calls before bed. i don't miss him so much in particular anymore. he wasn't right for me obviously.
i hate him.
i love him.
i kinda am indifferent in some ways.

i don't want to get back together at all. i want to move on.

heh, before we broke up, i had excellent grades, then we broke up... and the started dropping steadily until the end of the year... that makes me feel so stupid you know? letting it effect me like that. i didn't even realize it. that's the worst part. i thought i was fine.

this has to be the most incoherent thing I've written... its all over the place. but that's how i am right now. i need to just move on. i suck at it though. maybe... i think I'm moving on... but everyone else says otherwise. i mean, I'm hurt. and i want to validate my feelings, and i want to feel good... but I'm trying to move on as well... i dunno...
thoughts? advice? help?

maybe i shouldn't see this new guy anymore eh? i wonder if that's made things better or worse? maybe i should just be single and lonely for a while. or maybe i shoul date more? no relationships, but lots of casual flings? i dunno... its weird... so much stuff going on right now... yet i feel like its nothing... yet a ton... and i dunno...

augh, I'm done, sorry...

Physics news on Phys.org
Every relationship that I've seen end has led to some form of a rebound one. My friend broke up with his girlfriend of 2 years and then dated someone he hated for a long time - they only lasted a month or so.

I think the problem is that being with someone can become so comfortable that when he or she gets taken away, an emotional part of you is temporarily taken away until you can recover and adapt.

I can't say whether this new guy is right for you or not, but is it fair to him that you still talk to your ex? Or that you think about your ex alot? Does your boyfriend know about this?

Relationships can suck,
Jameson

Your post makes perfect sense to me. You're in mourning over your relationship. Sounds like your ex and his family were a big part of your life and now that's gone. There would be something wrong with you if you weren't going through this kind of emotional and physical readjustment.

It's very hard to go through what you are going through right now and there is no one answer that will "fix" things. It's just going to take time for you to readjust.

You've been honest with the new guy and he's chosen to stick around you even though he knows what you're going through. Not your fault. Just continue to be honest with yourself and him about your feelings.

Gale, you are so smart and so cute, and funny, and witty, and clever.

I wish I could give you the secret to getting over a lost love, but I don't have it. Sometimes it's easier to get over someone if you stop talking to them and sometimes it's easier if you slowly wean yourself away. Try both and see which makes you feel better. (damn I'm good at giving out advice! I could be the next Dear Abby). :biggrin:

One thing that helps is crying a lot, seriously. You'll feel better after a good cry.

Aren't you 17? Even if you weren't, you sound to me like the last person on Earth that should be getting engaged to anyone. Take it easy and stop worrying so much. If you have a good time with the guy you're going out with, keep doing it. Just have a good time and forget about how to label and pigeonhole your relationship. It is what it is and let it be just that. It will end, and when it does, that's perfectly all right.

Gale17 said:
everyone comes on here and complains about there girl problems, so i want to complain about my boy issues...
Believe me, we do not need any more complaining in this forum

I broke up with my fiance a while ago. Weird circumstances, its for the best, but it killed me... he'd found another girl...
so i had just met this guy, and he and i became friends, and then we started like, dating i guess... i dunno... i wasn't ready for a relationship at all. and I'm still not... and I've told him this...
i'm so weak, i can't stop trying to talk to my EX. i feel awful. i always have to ask him about things. i ask about this new girl. i tell him how upset i am. i tell him about my new guy, and how confused i am. i tell him how i look at our old photos... i ask if he does. i ask if he remembers that time... or what he did with the poster i made him. or the videos i created. tell him i hate him for doing this to me, tell him it was best that we broke up... ugh... I'm horrible. Everyone says i just shouldn't talk to him. but i dunno... I'm not that way... i dunno...

sen your ex pictures of you and this new person. Then key his car and put popcorn in the exhaust pipe(if you're really mad) :devil:
my EX has such a nice family... i miss that most. it is best we broke up, but its things like his family that i miss. and i miss having someone to take goofy pictures for. and i miss phone calls before bed. i don't miss him so much in particular anymore. he wasn't right for me obviously.
i hate him.
i love him.
get over it, he found someone else. unless you want to go for the impossible and do what they do in those stupid romantic movies
heh, before we broke up, i had excellent grades, then we broke up... and the started dropping steadily until the end of the year... that makes me feel so stupid you know? letting it effect me like that. i didn't even realize it. that's the worst part. i thought i was fine.

this has to be the most incoherent thing I've written... its all over the place. but that's how i am right now. i need to just move on. i suck at it though. maybe... i think I'm moving on... but everyone else says otherwise. i mean, I'm hurt. and i want to validate my feelings, and i want to feel good... but I'm trying to move on as well... i dunno...
thoughts? advice? help?
[/quote
nope
maybe i shouldn't see this new guy anymore eh? i wonder if that's made things better or worse? maybe i should just be single and lonely for a while. or maybe i shoul date more? no relationships, but lots of casual flings? i dunno... its weird... so much stuff going on right now... yet i feel like its nothing... yet a ton... and i dunno...
didn't you say you wanted to move on?

loseyourname said:
Aren't you 17? Even if you weren't, you sound to me like the last person on Earth that should be getting engaged to anyone...

ummm... hmm... well... hmm... yes, I'm 17... i er...

this new guy isn't my boyfriend... i really don't want a new boyfriend. i mean, i'd love, LOVE the security of a new relationship, but I'm soooo not ready. and i we're just like... dating... not bf/gf... that's allowed right? at the same time though, sometimes i get into moods where i just want to be cared for and about, and i dunno... i wish i was better at just casual flirting... that's what i want right now... i think...

I'm sick of crying... but i know what you mean evo. i kinda wish i could cry, but i have nothing to cry about... so i feel stupid crying. i hate sobbing, and being like "god, i just feel miserable... but everything seems to be working out quite normally... AUGH!" you know? i mean, i really believe its best we broke up... so why am i so sad? i don't want to get back together... and I'm not even very lonely cause at least i have someone else to be around. so i feel miserable, and i can't justify it.

the other thing is this: before my EX and i broke up, i asked for a little time off... i wanted to adjust to college and everything, and i wanted a little freedom to meet people without feeling so attatched to him. when i was with him, i was very uptight, and i didn't talk to any other boys cause i was afraid my ex would think i was unfaithful. so i wanted to take a break from the relationship a bit... so that i could meet new people, including guys, and not feel so weird. another reason was because my ex couldn't do math... i know it sounds lame... but i started just getting really... he couldn't even do algebra... i just started thinking "i'm going to spend my whole life with someone who can't do algebra?" and it weirded me out. this new guy also isn't very good at math... i think he's better at algebra, but not much... i feel shallow... at least with this new guy, i don't feel like I'm going to be with him forever, so the math skills isn't such a big deal. but i also just feel odd spending time with him, assuming that we'll break up or whatever.

another, other, thing: i really really want a family. My family is really disfuctional, and i hate being home, cause we all can't stand each other. My ex's family was soooo nice. they had parties and barbeques, and i played with the cousins, and it was so awesome. when i thought i'd be getting married soon, i loved imagining that sort of stuff in my own back yard. I was really looking forward to starting my own family... i know I'm young... i know i know i know... and everytime i mention this to someone, they're like "you're nuts! you're a kid!" but i dunno... i know i have to wait, but... i dunno... i just miss thinking that that reality was so close...

Gale17 said:
i dunno... i just miss thinking that that reality was so close...
I am pretty sure this is what's really bugging you. You feel you've lost a lot more than just a boyfriend: more like a whole different lifestyle that really appealed to you.

Gale17 said:
i hate him.
i love him.

:rofl:

this comes to demonstrate women are the most difficult thing to understand in this world. I hope some day I'll be able to do it.

I have seen only few times a person with such ability for expressing her thoughts so explicitly as you make it when writting. It seems you are printing your thoughts exactly as you feel them.

I would say your last fiance has been an stupid guy. Don't worry about him and his family. You are too young and surely you will find someone much better.

Gale:

been there, done that. statistically speaking there are a million guys better than him and more perfect for you.

go with the rebound guy, map him down to last chromosome and see if he is right, if not - search for a new guy.

simple.

Ya,ya,ya,especially the chromosome test.Vital.:approve:

BTW,you have an enormous amount of thnking,now that school's over...

Daniel.

is this guy running for the fastest sperm award or what

I have a hunch she doesn't know his "speed" yet...:tongue2:

Daniel.

i thought there for a moment i was talking about you... :confused:

What? What does that have to do with her and this thread...?:bugeye:

Daniel.

Gale, how cool are you? You're so cool. Just do what you think is right and get through it all and in the end you'll be stronger and cooler for it. And don't let your weaknesses (family etc) have any control over you, those problems are your own (in theory :biggrin: ) and shouldn't affect your relationships (if only I could follow my own advice... :rolleyes: )

icvotria said:
Gale, how cool are you? You're so cool. Just do what you think is right and get through it all and in the end you'll be stronger and cooler for it. And don't let your weaknesses (family etc) have any control over you, those problems are your own (in theory :biggrin: ) and shouldn't affect your relationships (if only I could follow my own advice... :rolleyes: )

heh... I'm cool eh? heh... that made me smile.

anyways, i just felt crummy this afternoon, and I'm sorry for being a whiner... but thanks to everyone who said nice things. sometimes stuff just gets so overwhelming... its been a month since he slept with that other girl, and somedays i think about it and it still just bothers me. and heh, ya, its sometimes just helps to get the thoughts out of my head and down on paper... and thanks for calling that an "ability." i tend to think of it as more incoherent blabbering nonesense. it just pours out of my mind and into print. but it makes me feel better. so thanks for just listening... or reading or whatever and just saying nice things. really. it helps so much just to see people being and nice, and knowing that the world doesn't suck... thanks.

When you're down

Just remember:

YOU

ARE

PILLOWHEAD!

zoobyshoe said:
When you're down

Just remember:

YOU

ARE

PILLOWHEAD!

hahahaha... sheesh... and icvotria had just convinced me i was cool... but dammit you're right... I'm just a goofy 17 yr old who likes to pretend she's a pirate while wearing her bed cushions as hats... gosh, what boy doesn't love that??

Pillowhead is the coolest pirate ever. Everyone loves Pillowhead. I have secretly been selling bumperstickers that say "Got Pillowhead?" I can't keep them in stock.

pillow.. and head..

usually applicable to not-so-hawt girls where u just square the body off mentally and draw the pillow-head conjunction in your head...

im sure he didnt mean that :grumpy:

you've been making money off of me? i want some of the profits there buddy... i have rights to pillowhead! don't make me stick my lawyer on you!

(hehe... makes me feel loved though... you're so sweet zoob!)

cronxeh said:
pillow.. and head..

usually applicable to not-so-hawt girls where u just square the body off mentally and draw the pillow-head conjunction in your head...

im sure he didnt mean that :grumpy:
Hey, Got Pillowhead?
I'm Pillow Head - Physics Help and Math Help - Physics Forums
Address:https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=74366

Pillowhead is the coolest pirate ever.

you are both bums! bums i tell you!

i just found out about that thread

Gale17 said:
you've been making money off of me? i want some of the profits there buddy... i have rights to pillowhead! don't make me stick my lawyer on you!
Don't worry. "Got Pillowhead, Inc." is a non-profit organization for the promotion of Pillowhead and Pillowhead-like personages (Cat Head, for example).
(hehe... makes me feel loved though... you're so sweet zoob!)
I KNOW! (Aw...thanks)

zoobyshoe said:
Don't worry. "Got Pillowhead, Inc." is a non-profit organization for the promotion of Pillowhead and Pillowhead-like personages (Cat Head, for example).

I KNOW! (Aw...thanks)

non-profit... and yet you're selling those bumper sticker... hrm... do we donate the proceeds then? cause i vote we donate the money to the pillowhead fund for wayward pillowhead teens. erm... they're devoted to helping those young pillowheads who've been through tough times... you can just write the check out directly to me, and i'll transfer the funds.

on a bitter-ex note: i bet you he'd be real jealous if he saw my face on car bumpers everywhere. yeah yeah, take that! (heh ok... now I'm moving on... seriously... )

Gale17 said:
non-profit... and yet you're selling those bumper sticker... hrm... do we donate the proceeds then? cause i vote we donate the money to the pillowhead fund for wayward pillowhead teens. erm... they're devoted to helping those young pillowheads who've been through tough times... you can just write the check out directly to me, and i'll transfer the funds.
I'll send everything that's left after the printer is paid.
on a bitter-ex note: i bet you he'd be real jealous if he saw my face on car bumpers everywhere. yeah yeah, take that!
Workin' on it. Hehehehehe.

Gale17 said:
i'm just a goofy 17 yr old who likes to pretend she's a pirate while wearing her bed cushions as hats... gosh, what boy doesn't love that??

There's a problem here.

You almost sound like you're being sarcastic. Not good!

Gale17 said:
i'm just a goofy 17 yr old who likes to pretend she's a pirate while wearing her bed cushions as hats... gosh, what boy doesn't love that??
As long as the hook doesn't get in the way, I see no problem.

Danger said:
As long as the hook doesn't get in the way, I see no problem.

psssh... i don't have a hook... peg leg maybe... but no hook! course, maybe this explains why the EX left me... wanted a girl with all her appendages! pssh... got to find me a guy who doesn't mind... hmm...

If u don't (have a hook),how are u going to hook up with a nice guy...?

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
If u don't (have a hook),how are u going to hook up with a nice guy...?
Are you kidding? She'd scare the hell out of a nice guy. She needs somebody like us. :biggrin:

Danger said:
She needs somebody like us. :biggrin:

Us?

US?

You mean me. :smile:

How economical is a pirate ship?

brewnog said:
You mean me. :smile:
Oh all right then, you. She probably wants somebody closer to your age anyhow. I'll just keep after the others.

brewnog said:
How economical is a pirate ship?
It depends upon how much power the fan takes to drive the sails.

Danger said:
Oh all right then, you. She probably wants somebody closer to your age anyhow. I'll just keep after the others.
Fair enough. You keep trying your magic on Moonbear and Evo...

Danger babe said:
It depends upon how much power the fan takes to drive the sails.

Aww. I thought you'd have got that one too, uncle.

45 miles to the galleon.

hrmm fellas... I'm used to the long distance thing and all.. but it would help if the guy was at least in the same country eh? or is that the convienient thing about it... you don't actually have to be around me... "sorry babe... this ocean thing... you know... "

edit: oh, and yes it helps if the guy courting me isn't older than my father...