Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Excitement in AdS/QFT

1. Feb 27, 2006 #1

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

arivero has noted over at Physics Comments the considerable interest the physics community is showing into the new, or revived, field of Ads/QFT model building. It is somewhat similar to Lisa Randall's style of model building, described in her new book Warped Passages, which I recommend.

arivero only mentions by name one of the papers fueling the excitement, but I followed it up on the arxiv; it's hep-ph/0501128,

QCD and Holographic Model of Hadrons

By Joshua Erlich, Emanuel Katz, Dam T. Son, and Mikhail A. Stephanov

From the Abstract

From the introduction

From the Discussion and Outlook

One of the things I liked about this model is that it doesn't require supersymmetry; it just does QCD as we know it (slightly simplified). Do go and look at their tables of fits. Of course the point is not that they can tune a model to fit the data; it is that THIS model, though parsimonious, can be so tuned. It deserves the excited attention it is getting!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2006 #2
    Well, ads/cft is an actual quantum theory of gravity. This isn't always appreciated in this forum. What these guys are doing has nothing to do with gravity. Inspired by the general idea of ads/cft holography, they are simply trying to construct a holographic dual of qcd.

4. Feb 27, 2006 #3

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Quite so. And while I believe there are several stringy/brainy approaches to supersymmetric extensions of the Standard Model, this is the first one I've seen that tries to do even part of the model (QCD) is it stands. To me, that's news.

LQG people apparently feel kinder toward AdS/CFT than to other string initiatives; perhaps some rapprochement is in the works.

5. Mar 1, 2006 #4

arivero

Gold Member

I'd not say "simply". Even if their results are not reusable for a theory of emergent gravity -and who knows?- it can be a good test ground for the PhysMath created for/by string minded people.

6. Mar 1, 2006 #5

arivero

Gold Member

It is funny that it is a 0501 but it took all the year to cross the PhysRevLetters Caronte's river, so when published it had already accumulated a good bunch of quotations!

Another one I found in the network is from M Shifman, a high level senior, from talks delivered last summer; it is hep-ph/0507246

In a next entry to Physcomments I also linked to the Nature article about the fuzz, but I ack it is subscrition only. Let me copy paste the references from it:

7. Mar 1, 2006 #6

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

some say that the river of AIP peer-review you refer to is the STYX
    I believe most would agree that the boatman who takes departed souls across this river is named Charon
    http://www.pantheon.org/articles/c/charon.html
    although you may prefer to call him Caronte

another name for the river is Acheron
    http://www.pantheon.org/articles/a/acheron.html
    which means "river of woe"

there is another minor linguistic matter:

but I ack it is subscription only

Does this refer to a smiley symbol of chagrin called ACK?

the emoticon symbols are, for us, what the Greek gods and godesses were for the poets of the 16th Century. Or rather, the classical gods and godesses were the emoticons of that day.

If it exists, the chagrin emoticon : ACK : would be related to the symbol of surprise and horror : EEK : written this way :surprised

and also to the emblem of disgust : YUCK : written :yuck:

8. Mar 1, 2006 #7

arivero

Gold Member

I am sorry here I am not so modern as to think according emoticons :uhh: , so that my ack comes from electronics board designs, its primitive meaning being "protocol acknowledge signal". It is from the pre-sms age, as for instance "cu" for "see you".

9. Mar 1, 2006 #8

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

]quote]another name for the river is Acheron [/quote]

I dimly recall that four rivers watered Hades; the Styx, the Acheron, the Lethe, and one other that I can't remember.

10. Mar 1, 2006 #9

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

I ack that Acheron is not the same river as Styx:smile:

11. Mar 1, 2006 #10

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

My memory was short one river; Wiki says:

The five rivers of Hades are Acheron, Cocytus, Phlegethon, Lethe and Styx.

Back to physics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?